Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
orion

Your first hacks

135 posts in this topic

BANK ACROSS STATE LINES !!!... jk... anyway lemme think

hmm

oh yea

My first social engineering technique to get free pizza. I saw it on youtube so i was like sure why not. IT WORKED.. extra cheese pizza for the win!!

i stared reading through a few of these and it convinced me to register and post my story.

i was playing a game online and one of my clan members there asked me to hack this game he was playing called Mythwar online . caus he knew i knew alot about computers . so i tried and by 10% skillz and 99% luck i abused a bug in their system to prevent item duplication . i bought 1 item , duplicated it 9999999 times and sold it to vendors . then i started giving free money away to ppl and spammed general chat that i was doing that

it was sooooo much fun , you wouldn't believe the amount of ppl that came begging . seriously ... you couldn't xD . the server was totally lagging on the map were i was just because everybody wanted my money.

then first i got pulled aside by a gm . but i didnt know that so i started giving her free money ( like 100mil every 4 sec . and 500 mil will get you the best item in the game ) so i also totally screwed the economy over . it was fun to see how prices rose so fast . it wasnt just a computer lesson for me but also a lesson in economy and supply and demand.

anyways ( this story lacks chronological elements ) that was my first hack and it got me addicted :lol: :lol:

I've always hacked electronics, from a very young age.

My first proper computer hack was at school, we had these Acorn computers (Risc cpu) but all the floppy drives were disabled due to people spending all day playing minesweeper.

I managed to get into the server as i was sat at the machine the admin used, and installed minesweper, it took about 1 day for it to be on every machine ;)

I've been hooked ever since.

My first was copying the iexplore.exe file to a foppy at home and taking it to uni to browse the web for free. The uni had blocked user access to IE (unless you had a valid login). This would have been 1996-1998 (I think)

I was working on a early "proprietary" BSD blend and fixed a kernel memory corruption bug, a nasty previous maintainer did the nasty. Not fun.

That's "real" hacking, the rest of you are children. :roll:

OK, my first real hack was an SE when attending middle school. A very cute brunette named Michelle. Not as smart, but much cuter than a BSD kernel.

Edited by vvuiverine

Simple SQL injection on a branch of my schools site giving me administrative access to all the teachers in my school district.

I think it was called Blackbroed?

i was 14 at the time :).

Phillidelphia, PA

age 14

decided to connect to a wireless network called free wireless and went ahead and bought the gear. connected through aircrack and had a free browsing service on a "free*" network. lol

Was 14 years old on an old Apple IIc and used a hex editor and edited my character on the game Ultima. Can't remember which Ultima.

I did not read any tutorials on the hex editor. I just figured it out over time.

my first hack was a on a website...(im not telling for security reasons..but if you really want to know PM me)

anyway i was a bit hyped up after reading some tutorials on xss and i manged

to find a site that had a major vuln. to xss LOL..i did some cookiestealing and

the nextday i reported it and they didn't care...local (age:14)

my remote hack was a bit funnier i was conducting

a security test on my computer from my friends house and i managed to brute

force the pass (it took 4 HOURS..) and i managed to delete something...

(more of a ehical hack) :D

I was working on a early "proprietary" BSD blend and fixed a kernel memory corruption bug, a nasty previous maintainer did the nasty. Not fun.

That's "real" hacking, the rest of you are children. :roll:

OK, my first real hack was an SE when attending middle school. A very cute brunette named Michelle. Not as smart, but much cuter than a BSD kernel.

You actually had to SE a girl into getting some? I feel sorry for you.

I don't know how much of a hack it is, but I was at one time interested in video games and hacking them. This was really young, maybe 8,9? I used a program to find memory values in a game (you should catch on by now) and I isolated values to find the value for money. Since I wasn't into coding then, I used a program to make trainers which was like a "create a program" suite and all I did was add a float value to the cash which instantly made it max (all 9s and stuff). That was my first....

Basically cracked the school admin password.....their security is real lame.....changed some of the firewall settings.....was fun while it lasted

Back in '05 or something, I was in junior high, I set up a Winpopup between me and a kid that was on the generic login for kids without passwords, because I was bored and I turned off DeepFreeze on both machines...

What I didnt realise was since my old username carried over from homeschooling, everybody was using the generic login cause it was only a month into school and they didnt get theirs migrated.

It sent a winpopup to every computer logged in under the domain at the time and crashed the network, I quickly shut it all off before the entire set of computers rebooted and exited the room nonchalantly, the librarian told everybody to go outside.

The pale kid who rocks back and forth and who is totally glued to that chair that smells like fundacheese. (his name escapes me) tried fingering a random smart kid for doing it but they never belived a word that pale barstard said, but they never really found out it was me...

Edited by IndexPhinger

Kinda lame and easy, but it is where I started. I ARP poisoned the whole school network. I got quite a few myspace and email passwords. Eventually the network crashed so I stopped after that.

i was using like windows 98 on a old school laptop in like 2000 and i pressed (alt)(f4) on the novell login and i didnt need to enter any password to get onto admin account. yes it was lame but i was 8 and bored

Hmmm... I would have to say my first hack was when I was in 1st grade. Our school had us pay for our lunches in advance with these little plastic "lunch tokens" which were taken by a half asleep old lunch lady holding a basket. Since my family was kinda poor at the time, I would have to bring a pb&j sandwich 3 days a week. Being the wonderful child that I was I quickly figured out that I could just stick my hand in the basket with a token click it against the other tokens to make a noise and palm it when I took my hand out. I never had to bring a sandwich again B) .

But my first computer related hack is really kinda pathetic... My highschool computer lab had all of its computer names taped to the monitor, so I wrote a batch file to send a 1000 net send popups to every computer in the lab and put it on peoples desktops with the title "Click Me". The entire lab got bombed about 6-7 times before the teacher caught on. Everyone thought it was a riot.

I was a little bastard in middle school.

I should have received "the paddle" for this ....

I booted 3 computer's into DOS in our computer lab then ran

deltree /y *.*

Hmmm... I would have to say my first hack was when I was in 1st grade. Our school had us pay for our lunches in advance with these little plastic "lunch tokens" which were taken by a half asleep old lunch lady holding a basket. Since my family was kinda poor at the time, I would have to bring a pb&j sandwich 3 days a week. Being the wonderful child that I was I quickly figured out that I could just stick my hand in the basket with a token click it against the other tokens to make a noise and palm it when I took my hand out. I never had to bring a sandwich again B) .

Hah I love that :D I used to steal juice boxes as a kid, we paid for them and then they'd only give us one tiny one and any of the ones that were left were saved for the next day. I mean we paid monthly for food (which ended up only being 1 stupid juice box) so I used to "pick pocket" the counter. Why would they tell our parents they'd give us lunch if all it was, was a juice box and you had to actually pay extra for the actual food?! >.>

My first PC hack was hella lame compared to all you geniuses. My first hack was when I was about 17, I hacked some girls hotmail. It was more luck than skill though. I was reading up on Google mining and seeing how you can search using those cool syntaxes and I managed to get her hotmail password on a cached googled page of her myspace. I guess she posted and quickly deleted it...not fast enough though lol. I logged into it, checked her mail and spoke to one of her male friends before loggin off. I guess there were a few more but they were pretty lame to, the hotmail one was one of the coolest ones. I also mesed about with the school network but I never had the heart to mess anything up for them, the tech guys liked me and were really nice so I thought better of it. I still probed about though and got lots of student account names. I could also log into a default account so if I messed about they wouldnt be able to see who it was.

Edited by Poet

i have no idea how young i was, but...

our family had an old gateways 2000 desktop with a pentium 75 and win3.1 installed. I overclocked it with the jumpers to 150mhz and installed 98 on it. i ran with no extra cooling for another year and a half. then i went to check one day how hot the cpu got and burnt the piss out of my finger. I dumed the whole thing on the floor. End of that pc.

Not really a hack.

in highschool, network access was limited only on initial access. No shortcuts and such. I found my way in with the word link trick and browsed for a while. I came accross the template used for report cards and made my own a few times. Only worked on my parents though. That is what got me started.

Edited by grandamdan

Uh... well, I used to do a lot of little electronics stuff ever since I could walk lol, I always wanted to see inside of whatever my dad was trying to repair and help out the best I could. :P My first hack? Well once when I was... maybe 7? I used this really old (and quite dead due to lighting and no surge protector, the motherboard was fried) computer and it's speakers to make my sister's CD player be able to play louder or something. It was a mess, but it worked okay. :blush:

My first hack would be the old quarter on a string trick for the pinball machine at the local pizzeria when I was 8 or so in the late 1970's (drill a quarter with a small hole, put it on a string and drop it in to get the credit then yank it back out)

I didn't really get into computer hacks until many years later. I guess technically the first hack would be changing the system date to bypass Antivirus software expiration but that's kinda weak. Since then I've progressed to much more complex hacks, but this is a thread about FIRST hacks, not coolest. I guess I find it a little hard to believe that folks first hacks were as complex as they say. Hackers don't pop out of the womb with in depth knowledge of Ida Pro and ASM. :roll:

Hackers don't pop out of the womb with in depth knowledge of Ida Pro and ASM.

But what if... :P

Oh jesus... you guys are gonna love this. Most of you have had home computers all your lives, but I grew up during a time when they were just becoming commercially available. As I've mentioned before, I'm kind of an old guy. (Well not that old, but definitely an adult).

When I was a kid back in the early '80s, our dad brought home a TRS-80 computer. It had an 80-column, black and white monitor and a tape deck for storing programs. It looked like this:

trs80-computer.jpg

We started learning programming with TRS-80 BASIC, but soon exhausted all its potential. The machine was a first-generation "Model I" with only 4k of RAM and a very limited version of BASIC. No multi-dimensional arrays, very limited I/O capabilities, very limited math operands and string-handling functions, etc... The newer Model I Trash-80s came with a better version of BASIC, developed by Microsoft, called "Level 2 BASIC". Some computer hobbyist magazines of the day (like Byte) had ads in the back for TRS-80 RAM and ROM upgrades you could buy. However, some guy my dad worked with had a TRS-80 with Level 2 BASIC, and the place where they worked happened to have an EPROM programmer. My dad convinced his boss to let him borrow the EPROM programmer, which was basically a small box with a hexidecimal keypad and a socket for the IC chip. He also brought home a few EPROMs and a printout of the binary for Microsoft Level 2 BASIC, supplied by my dad's friend from work. The printout was several hundred pages of that perforated, accordion-folded, dot-matrix printer paper with the holes down both sides. It was covered with blocks of inscrutable hexidecimal code printed from a hex editor.

So for like a month and a half during the cold winter months, my brother and I sat at a desk in the basement for several hours a day typing all those pages of code into the hex keypad of the EPROM programmer, line by line, byte by byte, by hand. Every few lines, we would stop to double-check it before proceeding because the EPROM programmer had very limited buffer space. Then we would "burn" it to the EPROM chip. We ended up with 2 EPROMs full of data. My dad built a small circuit board with sockets for the ROMs on one side and pins on the other to plug into the ROM socket on the TRS-80 motherboard. We used a screwdriver to pry the ROM containing the crappy TRS-80 BASIC out of the motherboard, then installed the new ROM "module" my dad had made with the new EPROMs hand-copied by my brother and me. We upgraded the RAM to a whopping 16k. Finally, we set up the computer and turned it on... and it worked! The top of the screen read, "TRS-80 Microsoft Level 2 BASIC".

For the next year or so, we learned how to program computers using Microsoft BASIC. I'm still amazed that we never got a system crash, despite having entered all that code by hand. I thought for sure we'd have made at least one mistake somewhere, but it always worked. We made all kinds of programs, simple games, etc. We would read computer magazines with BASIC programming articles that included program code, type the code into the computer, and run it. When we understood the concepts behind how it worked, we would modify or rewrite it for our own purposes. Several years later, I entered high school and took an introductory computer class. Though we were using Commodore PET computers in that class, I got an easy "A" because of the BASIC I'd learned on our TRS-80 at home.

By the time I was out of high school, we'd gone through several computers. We had a Commodore 64, a couple Ataris, and finally an IBM PC clone. I've learned to work and solve problems on a variety of systems, but I'll never forget where I got my start: pirating Microsoft BASIC on a shitty Radio Shack computer along with my dad and my brother.

Edited by Colonel Panic

That is so awesome. :D I wish I had some family members that were so into programming as well. ^_^ Mine give me more trouble than anything. <_<

Holy shit Colonel Panic, you win :o That is awesome lol, my father used a PROM when he was a kid, living on a farm that was the best you could get back then. :P