Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sycorax

Downloading google videos

14 posts in this topic

There's a download link, but it's to a gvp file (I think that's what it's called) for the google video player. Open that file and there's a URL to the actual video file.

There's a download link, but it's to a gvp file (I think that's what it's called) for the google video player. Open that file and there's a URL to the actual video file.

Thats a GVI (im pretty sure, but its not standard) but there are conversion tools

Thats a GVI (im pretty sure, but its not standard) but there are conversion tools

No, the file is nothing but some metadata and a URL to the actual video. Open it in notepad and download using the URL you find there.

No, the file is nothing but some metadata and a URL to the actual video. Open it in notepad and download using the URL you find there.

I know the GVP is metadata and a link, but when downloaded with Google's Video Player it downloads the full video file as a GVI

Maybe for the commercial videos, they have some sort of DRM or something. The free content is in common formats. I seem to remember the videos I downloaded were avi files. The URL wipes out the filename, but if you have something like VLC or mplayer, it'll figure it out.

You can also just try the "Download for iPod" option, that should give you a downloadable mp4.

Search for videodownloader. I used it in the past to download it as a flv (flash video) and coverted it to whatever I needed.

Edit

1000 post fjear!

Edited by ic0n

i save videos like this every day and by far the easiest way to save them is to use the firefox extension cacheviewer

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2489

it took me a few seconds to find it with cacheviewer, it lets you right-click and save the file too. you can do lots of filtered searches if you are having problems finding it too.

The "GVI format" is simply a MPEG4 container, Likely XViD encoded.. It's viewable in VLC media player.. So do what n3xg3n said.. Download the metadata file.. Open it in a text editor and then copy the direct link to the content..

BTW, Googles own "Windows" video player is based on VLC.. They even host the freaking source code FFS!!

http://code.google.com/patches.html

The "GVI format" is simply a MPEG4 container, Likely XViD encoded.. It's viewable in VLC media player.. So do what n3xg3n said.. Download the metadata file.. Open it in a text editor and then copy the direct link to the content..

BTW, Googles own "Windows" video player is based on VLC.. They even host the freaking source code FFS!!

http://code.google.com/patches.html

Ahem... Why search in metadata, when you can download the mp4 straight from the Google Video site?

Ahem... Why search in metadata, when you can download the mp4 straight from the Google Video site?

Lower resolution? Aren't some videos (if they're higher-resolution than what ipod can use) downscaled?

Lower resolution? Aren't some videos (if they're higher-resolution than what ipod can use) downscaled?

Maybe. I haven't seen a bigger than iPod resolution video on Google Vid yet though.