dbough

Hacking an LCD Pricetag?

10 posts in this topic

So my wife came home with a new pair of shoes. As she showed me what she wasted her money on, we saw a little black box hanging from them.

It was a little LCD price tag. I was like 'oh joy, something to toy with.' I immediately googled 'lcd pricetags' along with some other name combinations, but unfortunately I was unable to find anything on the subject.

Has anyone seen one of these? Are there any resources out there that can help me figure out how these things work?

lcd_tag.JPG

I've seen those all over this store we have here. they are supposed to take those off when they sell those. How did you get it to reset?

If you pop off the back plastic piece, there is a battery compartment door covered in a film/tape. Remove the tape and then open the battery door with a coin or a screwdriver. The battery pops right out.

That's as far as I've gotten. I don't want to destroy it before I figure out what it can do. There are no obvious assembly points that I can see.

There are no direct connections to it. I assume there is an RFID inside or some other form of wireless interface to change the price on the LCD. On the side of the unit is a barcode with the numbers '028A9FA5' underneath.

Kohles, United States

Those don't actually do anything but make it more convenient for the store to display prices. They still scan the UPC to figure out the real price. Would be interesting to find out how it works though, let me know if you make any progress.

you could just change the price and threaten to sue over false advertising? I think thats technically legal..well..not changing the price

This topic is the 56k killer...and I use high end Broadband. :blink:

Yeah, too true. I should have scaled down the pic a bit I guess - I hate changing the settings on my camera :P. When the bandwidth on my website tanks, I'll change it lol.

Edited by Network Nurd

I brought this up a few years ago here...

My idea on how they work is some employee plugs in some numbers on a computer than mounts the tag on a machine. I guess you could relate it to like a magnetic strip.