natas

Finding Someones Mobile Provider By Using Ringtone Offers

25 posts in this topic

I was just playing around with a ringtone landing page and noticed that Dada Mobile will show you the provider of almost ANY number, whether its a mobile phone or not, and EVEN IF ITS BEEN PORTED!

Since Dada Mobile needs to know which carrier your using for their reverse billing, they have access to some sort of system (probably an LNP system) which will check the number and get the provider name. Now most of the time the provider won't be shown on the page, unless the number is on the larger carriers like Sprint, Nextel, T-Mobile, Cingular/AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Unicell, or Boost Mobile, but if you look at the URL string you'll see the provider name! The company name is in the URL like this "&carrier=Verizon%20Wireless" or "&carrier=Verizon" Verizon Wireless or Verizon (landlines).

The Dada Mobile page I've been using for this is here: http://us.sso.dada.net/mobi/specialoffer_us38.html

Just thought this was a pretty cool little trick :)

Haha. Thats pretty cool.

Didn't try wih my own number, but it does infact work.

Nice find!

It showed the correct carrier for a cell phone I had canceled three years ago, and the number is not in use by another phone yet. It also showed the landline company one of my voip providers uses. Nice

Wow. Thats pretty leet that after 3 years it was still able to pull the last known carrier. This is proving to be pretty damn useful. The bad part is that people will get texts if you look up their number. I wonder if theres a way to query their system but not actually send a text.

Ha! I figured that they'd get a text! It must work by sending some sort of weird text message to them and they probably get an error message back and they just go by the sending message center number.

Nah, that wouldn't make sense. That would be a really bad way for a billion dollar business to do things. They probably have access to LERG and then an LNP database or maybe its just direct ties to all the carriers. Because they NEED to know who the carrier is for billing, so they don't get screwed.

I wonder if theres a way to query their system but not actually send a text.

I could not actually get it to send a text message. I tried three working phones on two different carriers (and it correctly identified them) but got the message:

Dada.net could not find any content matching your search!

All of the phones were in the 858 area code.

I think that landing page is just fucked up and Dada hasn't realized it yet.

I think that landing page is just fucked up and Dada hasn't realized it yet.

Even if the page is broken, I checked all the phones, they still haven't received a text message.

Uhhh yeah...because the page is broke.

I got a little bored and whipped up a quick bash script utilizing curl to make a cli verison.

Usage:

# ./carrier.sh 619-555-1212

carrier=Newbtel, Inc

Tested on Cygwin, should probably work elsewhere. If this is useful to anyone, I'll be surprised ;)

carrier.sh.txt

VERY cool!

I wrote another version of Savant's script which should be a tad fast because it is not making all the calls to awk or forking as much.

#!/bin/bash

NUM="$1"
IFS="-"
set - $NUM
NPA=${1}
NXX=${2}
XXXX=${3}

curl -s --head "http://us.sso.dada.net/register.php?returnurl=&id_wapdeld=63253&id_country=13&specialoffer=1&code_lc=us&prefix=%2B1&id_type=2&id_class=2&numero2=$NPA&numero2_1=$NXX&numero2_2=$XXXX&id_operatore=0&Submit.x=53&Submit.y=23&Submit=GO%21" | grep Location | awk -F "&" '{ print $3 }'

Sweet, I'm always forgetting websites so I setup a subdomain that points to the site. http://celllookup.phreaksandgeeks.com/

I'm wanting to know where they pull this info so we can setup something ourself.

It it is asking for a pin conformation number now, so i think the page is fixed.

The webpage maybe, but livinded's script still works.

It it is asking for a pin conformation number now, so i think the page is fixed.

I tested the script out on my number and I still didn't get a text message. So it looks like the script still does the job nice and quietly ;)

Maybe I should send this in to 2600 as a short article. Seems like people would find it interesting.

Many people would find it useful however it may be gone soon if you do. Either way... Great Find.

um-I don't think it works at all anymore.

The script above still works fine. Hasn't sent a text message to any of the numbers I entered (yet), either.

Very leet.

Nice, thanks for the link!