MindPhreak_Meekrab

Setting up an old school BBS

29 posts in this topic

Just install Win98 in a VM and find a USB Modem to work with your BBS software. Serial over IP, compatible USB 56K modem with a chipset your BBS software will communicate with (or write custom initiation strings, etc...)

Or you could do that. But it's more fun getting it go on real hardware rather than in a VM. I think the OP however many years ago said he wanted to do it that way, wonder if he ever got it going. (I believe he'll be turning 24 this year.)

As for DOS? I'm sure it can be found somewhere. There are downloads somewhere - just a matter of finding them

(cough)Vetusware. (cough)

I put my first BBS online using an Atari 800XL, a single 180k floppy drive and a 300 baud (Atari XM301) modem. 

That was also the same setup that I first boxed with, wardialed with and codescanned with.. 

That was around 1984 and I remember listening to Queensryche - Rage for Order on LP brand new on a rainy day while editing the basic code to MarshBBS on my Atari ... 

Interesting thing about the comment regarding a lot of bbs's being spawned from WWIV.... That is definitely true - but as I saw it - at least in the USA - there were three camps really... Forum-PC (Ken Duda) and all of its hacks (emulex, fone conspiracy, and gobs of others), WWIV, and the opus/pcboard/wildcat/rbbs/blahblahPD guys... 

I used to be and still am a collector of all things BBS and love the fact that BBS's still exist and it seems like even from time to time (especially recently) seem to be coming back on everything from true C64 hardware to stuff like Syncronet and even JS based ascii/ansi telnet/ssh based BBS's ..

One day it will all just be a memory in a text file - but it won't be anytime soon. Thankfully. :)

1 hour ago, docx said:

I put my first BBS online using an Atari 800XL, a single 180k floppy drive and a 300 baud (Atari XM301) modem. 

That was also the same setup that I first boxed with, wardialed with and codescanned with.. 

That was around 1984 and I remember listening to Queensryche - Rage for Order on LP brand new on a rainy day while editing the basic code to MarshBBS on my Atari ... 

Queensryche is from Seattle? It was raining? 1984? War Games was in theaters in 1983, I believe? War-games was filmed in Seattle. Are you David Lightman? 

Kidding.... But you're post reminded me of Wargames... Think I'll watch that movie tonight. :-)