Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Panda

Monitor problems

4 posts in this topic

I've taken an old computer apart to test some hardware, finally put them all back in and connected it all back up, then when I turn it on, the monitor don't come on at all!

I've checked to see if some of the cables are loose and tried changing them around but no luck.

Any idea why this don't work now?

how old it it?

Are there any indicator LEDs that come on?

Edited by crackedatom

Start from the beginning. Take out everything. Make sure the CPU, RAM and video card are in correctly and seated well. Make sure the PC speaker is on the right headers to hear any beep codes that might come up. If it works like that, start adding things until it doesn't work, then you'll know what's causing the problem. If it doesn't work like that, you have bigger problems.

An easy question before you do all that though, do you hear the POST beep? If the POST is successful, there will be a single short beep. Make sure the PC speaker is plugged in correctly, and tell us if it beeps.

Start from the beginning. Take out everything. Make sure the CPU, RAM and video card are in correctly and seated well. Make sure the PC speaker is on the right headers to hear any beep codes that might come up. If it works like that, start adding things until it doesn't work, then you'll know what's causing the problem. If it doesn't work like that, you have bigger problems.

An easy question before you do all that though, do you hear the POST beep? If the POST is successful, there will be a single short beep. Make sure the PC speaker is plugged in correctly, and tell us if it beeps.

Hey,

Managed to get the monitor on, finally.

Got a beeeep when the computer boots up, then I get the message

"Detecting IDE Secondary Master.... none"

Not sure what that means exactly but I will look it up aswell tonight, the other thing that I'm stuck with now is the CD-ROM drive don't open up unless I bang the top :/

I told the guys it's not that much cop getting this computer working, just use it as spares. It's 133? mhz proc etc about 8 years old apperently( running Windows 95), and I just fixed their new one up too :<

Oh well..