Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I_Eat_Childrenz

Telnet Server

32 posts in this topic

When you say telnet is 'unsecure' because it sends everything in plain text,

what does somebody do in order to get the data if it is not sent to them ?

What do you mean? Are you talking about what to do if the intended recipient did not receive the data or are you talking about someone trying to MITM?

Man in the Middle Attack, hehe I just googled it :) but yea, what I mean is how would one go about doing that? Lets say I set up a telnet server here at work, and accessed the files from home. How would somebody intercept the data transmission (assuming it is not encrypted) Because the way people are making Telnet sound is that it is almost silly to use because of its lack of security.

I'm using Ubuntu 7.04, would it be better to use the client that comes with the OS or should I grab a third party one ?

Edited by Remix

Well if they just wanted to know what you were doing, they would only have to sniff packets on the network you are on. Since telnet is plain-text, it would show up what you sent. If they wanted to hijack the session, they could do alot of different things. Read up on a bunch of different MITM tutorials and what not. It is kind of confusing a bit with the whole blind spoofing and non blind spoofing and what not. But some MITM tools would be Juggernaut, Hunt, TTY Watcher and T-Sight. Check those out. Juggernaut is cool as it will inject a packet with code to the destination host. Be creative hah. Good luck

Well if they just wanted to know what you were doing, they would only have to sniff packets on the network you are on. Since telnet is plain-text, it would show up what you sent. If they wanted to hijack the session, they could do alot of different things. Read up on a bunch of different MITM tutorials and what not. It is kind of confusing a bit with the whole blind spoofing and non blind spoofing and what not. But some MITM tools would be Juggernaut, Hunt, TTY Watcher and T-Sight. Check those out. Juggernaut is cool as it will inject a packet with code to the destination host. Be creative hah. Good luck

What about the good ol' dsniff suite? Works every time for me... :)

Alright thanks seven i'll check those out

uh-oh..

may i khow wat's telnet? =)

Learn about telnet Here

If you can run Putty, it's easy to start a telet or ssh session.

Putty is only a client though - you want an ssh server - does Open SSH run on Vista? - I expect it will.

Vista cannot ssh. Dont expect it to man, it is windows.

Edited by tacomaster