Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ozlo

2225Hz

18 posts in this topic

I've encountered several numbers that just play a loud 2225Hz tone. It sounds like the beginning of a modem handshake, but it's just the single 2225Hz tone without a higher pitch tone following it. Does anyone know if this is some kind of standard line test similar to the milliwatt test?

mabey ive encounted somewhat near same thing on a test number in my area i think...tone test? ;)

when i say tone test i mean that it is just another line like test. -_-

are u sure it isnt just a carrier?

Ive never heard of a 2225hz testtone, but the phone system contains many anomalies. For instance, those numbers that just read off a buch of numbers like "200 67 11 4 7 4 2 4 8 6" then play dtmf...and those numbers that almost play a song in tones...all weird shit, and no one ever has a clear explanation.

there seems to be way to many random tones out there to keep track of

I think I found one as well:

505-281-9902

Higher freq and amp than a 1k tone.

Never mind this sounding like a standard modem carrier, because I just compared the frequencies and it's off a bit from how modern modems answer. It still could be some kind of carrier, maybe for an older or non-standard modem? I'll have to see when I hook up my other box that actually has a modem.

And dual, you're right, the number you posted is a higher frequency than a 1k tone. It's actually 1004Hz... good ears :P It seems like a regular milliwatt test number to me. You have to be careful since sometimes our minds/ears play tricks on us and it's easy to think one tone sounds like the other. That's why now I record the tones and analyze the frequencies with software so I don't have to do any guessing.

I mentioned one of these in a previous thread.

I think that i'll have to go with the anomaly theory.

ps: decoder, your avatar is my phone! :lol:

Wow, was I off. I've always gone by a 3-digit test no. on a 5E here that sounds like a lower freq and is much lower in amplitude, and that I always thought was a milliwatt. Thanks.

This right here is a milliwatt : 1-631-979-9945

This is another tone that i always find : 1-631-979-9968

This is also a milliwatt : 1-415-499-0020

...as a matter of fact, in California, you will usually hear a milliwatt on either 0020 or 0002. Mostly in SBC exchanges, although there are always exeptions.

This is that other pesky, non-milliwatt tone : 1-415-499-0037

And this rings first, then plays some weird tone : 1-415-499-0058

...lastly, 1-800-69-WHORE is, strangely enough, a milliwatt.

A quick scan found these milliwatts:

505-327-9902

505-421-9902

505-479-9902

505-687-9902

505-746-9902

All this time...

(I found a cool error message too: 505-853-9902)

Wow, was I off. I've always gone by a 3-digit test no. on a 5E here that sounds like a lower freq and is much lower in amplitude, and that I always thought was a milliwatt. Thanks.

Hmmm...lower frequency? 440Hz perhaps? Did you ever try hitting some buttons?

decoder, the other strange tone you always encounter is the same one I am finding, but your numbers seem to play only short bursts of the tone. It's the exact same frequency. I noticed that a couple of those numbers respond to DTMF also, such as 1-631-979-9968. When I pressed 3 it responded with a noise that sounded like POCSAG (used to transmit data to pagers). I have an old POCSAG decoding program around here somewhere and maybe I should see if this number's sending any important data that way. :)

Also, 440Hz is a standard PBX tone, right? I found one of those.

Here's some of the 2225Hz numbers I found:

585-638-5770

432-827-3669

561-753-5480 (this last one plays the tone then leads in what sounds like RTTY)

DATU's also have a 440Hz tone. Actually, I'm not sure if PBX's/extenders use 440Hz...they use something close, though....maybe 400Hz or 500Hz.

The lower freq tone starts to pulse when I hit DTMF.

I found this low tone number that responds to dtmf tones (#XX# i think ), and if you don't touch anything connects you to sprint customer service !

1800 877 8000