Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epew23

NEW LAPTOP!

17 posts in this topic

well i just got a new laptop for about 400$ i say it is a bargin. It is a gateway with windows xp media edition on it. It has 512 mb of ram and a 80 gb hard drive. The guy told me that its graphics are pretty good as well. Wel i am haveing a few problems with it however. It is a bit on the slow side. I tried increaseing virtual memory but that didnt help muc Other than buying more ram how can i increase the speed.

Start --------> Run ------------> msconfig ---------------> Startup -------------> Uncheck all items that you don't need.

That will really only increase the speed for bootup.

Slow is a relative term. Try climbing a high place and dropping it over the side, it will accelerate downwards at a constant rate of 9.81 m/s^2 (assuming you're here on earth).

Or just try getting a real OS.. like freebsd ;)

Gateway? They are still in business? Holy shit.

Start --------> Run ------------> msconfig ---------------> Startup -------------> Uncheck all items that you don't need.

That will really only increase the speed for bootup.

i did that but there are all thease things that are named like a synth, and all thease others that i dont know anything about. Googleing them didnt help either

that is a bargin. i paid 499 for my dell inspiron b130 all it has going for it is stability and simplicity... now that i think about that its not to shabby either.

anybody know why only media center edition has the smoothest looking of the xp guis.

Is it slow all of the time or just when it's unplugged? If it slows drastically when its unplugged, and that bothers you and you don't need long battery life, you might want to disable the Speed Step (or equivalent power saving system depending on architecture). Also if it is the original install of Windows that came with the laptop, reformat it, the factory installs alway come with so much useless crap.

oh sorry i didn't see you were asking a question this is what i use to make my computer work at a decent speed

http://www.download.com/FreeRAM-XP-Pro/300...60.html?tag=pub its a program that does exactly what it sounds like free up ram when needed

also i use a alternative to task manager called process explorer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx i can use this to speed up my stuff because you can set a priority on app and it will be considered more or less important by the computer (although this is reset when you restart.)

Very cool program deffinatly helped with game play but opening aplications still takes more time than i Want. Should i just suck it up and buy more ram?

Very cool program deffinatly helped with game play but opening aplications still takes more time than i Want. Should i just suck it up and buy more ram?

I ran XP Pro with 256 RAM at great speeds. You just have to remove things that you know you wont be using. Also disable as many services as possible, every bit helps. The page file should be double your RAM, since you only have 512MB. There are a number of different things you can do to speed up your system without buying more RAM.

I would have to google it at this point, but there are countless sites that talk about Windows performance and speeding it up.

install tune up utilities 2007

system tuneup

this will somehow speed up your system

defrag it regularly

scan for viruses

check hards for volume errors

Gateway? They are still in business? Holy shit.

I bought a new Gateway laptop recently. It's actually really solid, and everything works like a charm. I guess they've changed their developing-third-world-manufacturer

install tune up utilities 2007

system tuneup

this will somehow speed up your system

defrag it regularly

scan for viruses

check hards for volume errors

Ok I have that program and it is awesome man. Tanks much it helps greatly i very well may purchase it. I scanned getting with Norton and the viruscan it cam with (i think that it was antivir) and both came up with 2 maleware files. One was my work file which is never going to get deleted, and AIM. I havent defraged it yet but i will eventually, and i am not positive on what a volume error is. I just keep on getting advertisements about how to remove it. Please explain.

I'm torn whether I should leave this thread here or move it to the Newbie section.

Incidentally, the NYPD (or, maybe only their headquarters) have a contract with Gateway and thus use only Gateway computers.

i deffragged it, but there wasnt too much fragmented volume to begin with. But it is crusing and a good speed now. Thank you all for your help. Much aperciated

p.s. this was a noob topic my bad.

...and both came up with 2 maleware files. One was my work file which is never going to get deleted, and AIM. I haven't defraged it yet but i will eventually, and i am not positive on what a volume error is. I just keep on getting advertisements about how to remove it. Please explain.

If you have maleware on this PC it will definitely slow things down. As far as one being a work file - if it's infected I'd be leary of sharing this at the office. Unless its a file that just looks like maleware to your AV software - but I highly doubt that.

The second one being AIM? I've never had a program tag AIM as a vicious piece of software (although I have other ideas on the matter.) AIM Triton pretty much swamps your PC. I'd go with Pidgin or another 'off brand' AIM program.

If you are getting popups about how to remove the maleware - and it isn't from your already installed AV software - that IS the maleware. It will give you popups that say 'click here to remove this virus' or something to that sort - in turn getting you to download more adware etc.

512 RAM should be more than enough for most things you do on your laptop.