Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zal91

Listen to this.

19 posts in this topic

that's quite cool...How was that done?

of fuck, that was awesome.

that's quite cool...How was that done?

The tech is actually really simple. You take two microphones, placed a specific distance apart (the distance between your ears), and record with them. Since they are recording in the same position as you hear, when played back on headphones you get the same audio.

People often forget that humans only have two ears! It only takes two speakers :)

edit: here's a bit more info I googled up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

Edited by fourohone

holy cow... I just could tell from where the sound was coming from. That's pretty amazing.

Nice I had to pull the headphones off at work because I thought my speakers were on too

Yeah this stuff is cool. Unfortunately, very few actual songs are recorded using this method.

Uh, no, most songs you hear on the radio were recorded with multiple microphones.

Uh, no, most songs you hear on the radio were recorded with multiple microphones.

Whoops! You made a mistake! Binaural recording is not just multiple microphones.

Binaural recording is a method of recording audio which uses a special microphone arrangement.

The term "binaural" has often been confused as a synonym for the word "stereo"

Conventional stereo recordings do not factor in natural crossfeed or sonic shaping of the head and ear, since these things happen naturally as a person listens, generating their own ITDs (interaural time differences) and ILDs (interaural level differences).

A typical binaural recording unit has two high-fidelity microphones mounted in a dummy head, inset in ear-shaped molds to fully capture all of the audio frequency adjustments (known as head-related transfer functions (HRTFs) in the psychoacoustic research community) that happen naturally as sound wraps around the human head and is "shaped" by the form of the outer and inner ear.

It is the arrangement of the microphones that makes a recording binaural. Most music you hear was recorded with multiple microphones, but was recorded and mixed for playback on speakers, not headphones. Binaural audio is a special recording only for headphones.

Edited by greeniguana00

Wow, that was insane, I thought i could feel the sound when it when down the body, and my eyes followed exactly where it was. Very nice find!

that was awesome... it's unfortunate more things arent recorded with this setup,

an orchestra with this in the middle would be pretty cool i think

holy shit that was insane and i was using my laptops speakers

holy shit that was insane and i was using my laptops speakers

Definitely do it with headphones because it puts you at the center of the sound and it moves around you, to the point that you know exactly where it is, almost that you see the sound

:voteyes: :voteyes: :voteyes:

Wow, that was insane, I thought i could feel the sound when it when down the body, and my eyes followed exactly where it was. Very nice find!

I was following the sound towards the end :P

If someone wants a really nice song PM me. Dark, moody, recorded in the same manner but requires headphones with decent bass feedback.