ntheory

iPhone security

13 posts in this topic

The iPhone is open to developers. Ok, I guess.

Developers will be able to create applications for the iPhone by using Web 2.0 programming tools like AJAX and taking advantage of the full version of Apple's Safari Web browser incorporated into the devices. A separate, special software developer's kit is not needed, Jobs said.

This is really giving us nothing. It had a web browser before this "announcement". This "announcement" is turning into "You can go to web pages with our smart phone!". :blink: This isn't really an announcement, it's spin. Of course, with this particular spin there comes a twist...

Jobs told an enthusiastic audience at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2007 that developers could write applications that work and look like iPhone applications from Apple, including those for making calls, sending e-mail and other functions.

Ok, so first Jobs says we can't write applications because we could bring down the cellphone network if they are badly programmed trash. Now he's telling us that we can "program" the phone by just writing web pages and doing some AJAX hoo-ha. Again, we already all knew we could do that. But now he's telling us that web pages can place phone calls, send e-mail, and "other functions"? How is that better security than letting people write real applications?

I'm really confused. Please set me straight.

If anything it's even worse security. If Javascript can initiate calls or access the phone's functions any random website can run code on the phone whenever the user goes to the site.

Yes sir. Read that last line again:

Jobs told an enthusiastic audience at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2007 that developers could write applications that work and look like iPhone applications from Apple, including those for making calls, sending e-mail and other functions.

My interpretation is: You can make your webpages LOOK LIKE applications that make phone calls and send email. Basically, you're applications can have a similar GUI to those that apple included.

Well the cingular or att developer center hasn't released any information or SDK's for the device so its hard to tell. But if mobile osx is unix based its going to be hard to stop application development. Don't let apple fool you being able to program your own apps isn't going to break the network. They're keeping it closed so they can profit on software sales. Key sales will be instant messaging clients and games cuz mac fanboys are accessory whores.

On another note its been leeked that the touch screen keyboard isn't as revolutionary as apple would like you to believe and that it sucks. It sounded cool at first but I'm unsold on this device. no 3g, no third party apps, poor user interface, crippled cellphone functionality (no mms, or cingular content support) Blackberry curve is looking hot.

Yes sir. Read that last line again:

My interpretation is: You can make your webpages LOOK LIKE applications that make phone calls and send email. Basically, you're applications can have a similar GUI to those that apple included.

I agree with this interpretation. There will be no money to be made if other people can write apps for this phone. Ring tones, games, and other crap is where the money is these days.

I'm very curious to see what price is placed upon a plan for this phone. I think that my Blackberry data pricing is steep with Verizon, but I'm sure that it will pale in comparison to At&t's pricing on the Iphone plans.

I'm very curious to see what price is placed upon a plan for this phone. I think that my Blackberry data pricing is steep with Verizon, but I'm sure that it will pale in comparison to At&t's pricing on the Iphone plans.

Actually AT&T/Cingular has pretty generic data plans. It will probaly work with the $20 medianet plan. They may say it needs a data connect plan... I doubt they're gonna build up additinal data services for one device.

But right before it says "look like" it says "work and". Why should I ignore the "work and" part? I love Apple.

I ranted about this yesterday.

hack localized app server -> inject malicious code -> poof iphones up in smoke

Now I'm sure it's not that easy. But it might as well be.

The whole over-the-air application setup is crap.

OVA = Data Transfer = $$, it also would shorten the battery life.

(I don't recall for sure, but I'm pretty sure there's no removable battery either being as it is apple.)

Now AT&T is king of all data charge raping. So that's to be expected but hell....

The browser component runs in a sandboxed environment on the iPhone, hence Apple saying that it is secure. Your web-app will never touch data on the phone.

Integration of your web-app and the phone functions is simply the browser recognizing stuff like phone numbers and email addresses etc.

I am very intruiged by this information.

Is anyone as curious as i am? haha.

Hrmmm Do we have a new Post Whore????