Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
p0d

Routers

3 posts in this topic

*sigh* Ok, I figure that if I'm going to really fux0r around with anyones network it had better be my own. So I got enough fundz and stuff to buy myself a router. If I were to connect the router my schools internet, wouldn't it just create another subnet? I've go this book on Linux Networking, but I don't want to set up another box just for routing purposes; in short, what is the cheapest router that offers the biggest bang for the buck. Or do I have no idea what I am talking about?

Edited by baby-Hackribs

I really would recommend setting up another Linux box for a router. The cheap routers are Linux boxes themselves, but your interaction with it is limited to the web interface (without major haxoring). If your objective is to learn, a consumer-oriented router isn't going to teach you anything.

if you want to learn Ciscos (which is what I assume you do), there is no use in buying a little Linksys router. Why would you fork over all that money for a router (an actual Cisco router used by large networks) when you can 0wn one for free? My advice to you if you want to learn routers is go out and buy one of those CCNA study guides that includes the virtual network game on the CD. It will teach you everything you need to know about how to set them up, configure them, blah blah blah, for about $40-$50.