matt

Hard Drive Cleaner?

13 posts in this topic

Is there a tool that will write zero's to sectors that are marked as blank but really still have data on them?

I need one.

If that doesn't make sense, I'll clarify:

The hard drive has files on it, then you delete them. They can be un-deleted using some tools that scan sectors that are marked as blank. I want to blank out all those sectors that are marked as blank, in case anything is on there. What should I use? I'm running Ubuntu.

There's a package in the universe repository called secure-delete that supposedly contain tools to do this.

Edit: If I'm interpreting your request correctly, you want a tool that will not wipe the entire hard drive, only the free disk space.

According to the information on secure-delete it "contains tools to securely wipe data from files, free disk space, swap and memory."

Edited by snow

i thought that all you needed was to use a live distro and issue the command:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

and then zero it with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

sda being where my disk is.

i have not actually tried this but i would have thought that would be a free and secure way to do it.

Edited by bsd-roo

http://rmccurdy.com/scripts/quickclean.exe extract and change the pass=1 to like 7

Good advice for Windows users. However this is the LINUX forum. exe's won't work without wine. And even so there are better apps out there for linux than an emulated one.

i use this script to delete files i don't want in free space. it works with nautilus so you can right-click a file and select delete. a better way might be something called nautilus-actions, that will put loads of stuff in your right-click menu too. i know it's abit OT, but it saves hours of flipping bits in free space :|

http://rob.pectol.com/myscripts/

it's the secure file delete one. there are some other good scrpits there too

There's a package in the universe repository called secure-delete that supposedly contain tools to do this.

Edit: If I'm interpreting your request correctly, you want a tool that will not wipe the entire hard drive, only the free disk space.

According to the information on secure-delete it "contains tools to securely wipe data from files, free disk space, swap and memory."

I installed it, how do I use it?

I installed it, how do I use it?

I've never used it myself, but the package includes the following documentation that you might want to check out:

usr/share/doc/secure-delete/changelog.gz
usr/share/doc/secure-delete/README.gz
usr/share/doc/secure-delete/TODO
usr/share/doc/secure-delete/README.Debian
usr/share/doc/secure-delete/copyright
usr/share/doc/secure-delete/changelog.Debian.gz
usr/share/doc/secure-delete/secure_delete.doc.gz
usr/share/doc/secure-delete/usenix6-gutmann.doc.gz
usr/share/man/man1/srm.1.gz
usr/share/man/man1/sswap.1.gz
usr/share/man/man1/sfill.1.gz
usr/share/man/man1/smem.1.gz

i thought that all you needed was to use a live distro and issue the command:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

and then zero it with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

sda being where my disk is.

i have not actually tried this but i would have thought that would be a free and secure way to do it.

Read his post again.

Is there a tool that will write zero's to sectors that are marked as blank but really still have data on them?

I need one.

There is a useful bootable CD which contains a whole load of utilities, some of which are disk wipers...

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

As an extra note, when I read your posting I thought you might be talking about clearing re-mapped sectors which I don't think any of the utilities actually consider.

Modern hard disks have spare space on them which are unallocated. As the drive detects failing sectors they auto-magically remap these to use the spare space. So in theory there could still be data on the drive even if you successfully clear the 'whole' drive as these previously used blocks will not be accessible through the usual drive access stuff.....

Just a thought.|

Munge.