Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doug

Best HD Codec?

4 posts in this topic

So I've been filming some HD and I guess it would be impossible to release a full 30 minute video episode in true HD. Even if I use DivX compression still being in HD it would be a shit load of MB per minute. Is there anything else out there or is my best bet to just keep the HD content til something new comes along and release my videos in a still great quality standard definition file. I'll probably release a few trailers in true 1080i HD. and just compress the files to a 640 resolution.

Probably should wait til HD DVD burners come out and HD takes off more and bandwidth isn't as much as an issue in the future for HD content.

Should i just keep the masters to myself until then?

I think you should distribute them Hd and standard def. because you can get like 30 min. of full 1080p for like 1.8 gb or 720p for 1.2gb with wmvhd(vc1). I also recommend down converting them to 720p, so you will not get any ugly interlace lines with non 1080i displays. The best option is to probably distribute them in divxhd (720p and 1080i) over @ stage6.divx.com and then put the non-hd files on your website.

I am personally a huge fan of XviD when it comes to good quality. On may sites I see things either offered in HD-XviD or h.264 HD encoding. Either of those are the new basic standard from what I can tell. Its like HD-DVD vs Blueray only in codec form.

h.264 produces significantly bigger file sizes and uses tons more cpu and ram to decode them because it off-loads less to your video card. For example a h.264 encode of goodfellas is 6.8 gb and a wmvhd vc-1 is only 4.5gb for no noticeable differences between them and with the wmvhd u can stream it to ur xbox-360.

Edited by whatthe6666