K5DECO

DATU / SASS

27 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me deeply what a DATU and a SASS is and what it stands for or you can just send me an article on it. also what is a cocot, and what does it mean to dial into a cocot

COCOT = a payphone that is customer owned. That means its owned by a small company and not someone like Verizon or Qwest or AT&T.

As for DATU and SASS...Google around. You should know that they're no good. Someone here got sent to jail for a year for fucking with DATUs, so the general concensus these days is that you shouldn't fuck with em.

Please lock this topic .. And state it in the rules that this subject is no longer allowed in Binrev ... :grr:

the cat is just trying to learn, bro. cool out.

Just talking about this stuff puts you on the radar, that was Majestic's point. I am sure K5DECO was asking innocently, so that is all that was. For the record here in this thread though, Binary Revolution's rules do state that illegal activity won't be condoned. Wave at the security guy who Googled this up everyone! /me waves

Please lock this topic .. And state it in the rules that this subject is no longer allowed in Binrev ... :grr:

I agree here. For this subject matter Google is the best bet. On a side note, what's up Majestic?! Long time no talk. ;)

Just talking about this stuff puts you on the radar, that was Majestic's point. I am sure K5DECO was asking innocently, so that is all that was. For the record here in this thread though, Binary Revolution's rules do state that illegal activity won't be condoned. Wave at the security guy who Googled this up everyone! /me waves

Absolutely right. BinRev's rules do state that. But this dude was simply asking what these things are, not how to abuse them. While I do think that the nature of this subject is very gray area, I don't think it's something to go crazy over.

Absolutely right. BinRev's rules do state that. But this dude was simply asking what these things are, not how to abuse them. While I do think that the nature of this subject is very gray area, I don't think it's something to go crazy over.

Maybe you would enjoy spending a year in jail then? Judging by that statement.

What on earth are you talking about? It's not illegal to discuss DATUs or any other telco interface. Hell, I OWN a DATU box (bought it on ebay in a large lot that contained a number of other CO components). Nothing at all illegal or even suspect about that. And certainly not worthy of the mystique that seems to surround DATUs

Unauthorized access to a telco DATU is certainly illegal, especially so for purposes in support of wiretapping or other inherently illegal activity, of course.

Maybe back in the old Bell System days it could be reasonably argued that details about telephone system architecture and interfaces are inherently proprietary, but not today. Lots of people own switches and switch hardware.

Edited by albertterego

Uh? What? Dude, take a chill pill.

What on earth are you talking about? It's not illegal to discuss DATUs or any other telco interface. Hell, I OWN a DATU box (bought it on ebay in a large lot that contained a number of other CO components). Nothing at all illegal or even suspect about that. And certainly not worthy of the mystique that seems to surround DATUs

Unauthorized access to a telco DATU is certainly illegal, especially so for purposes in support of wiretapping or other inherently illegal activity, of course.

Maybe back in the old Bell System days it could be reasonably argued that details about telephone system architecture and interfaces are inherently proprietary, but not today. Lots of people own switches and switch hardware.

Thank you. :) Some of my thoughts exactly.

Signull; Excuse me? Where in my statement did I say I would enjoy spending a year in jail? Assuming they aren't doing anything stupid and they use common sense, I don't think anyone asking a question about something like a DATU needs to ph33r. This is silly.

Edited by zoe

yeah, that sure is a logical statement...

they cant put you in jail for talking about what a DATU is. they can put you in jail for breaking into one, you see the fine line there? yeah, that line is the that seperates whats legal and illegal. what this cat was asking was totally legit and legal, so i think its time to calm it down just a bit. heh.

right and I still don't know what a DATU or a SASS is, but the most they could do is get suspicious and check me out.

yeah, that sure is a logical statement...

they cant put you in jail for talking about what a DATU is. they can put you in jail for breaking into one, you see the fine line there? yeah, that line is the that seperates whats legal and illegal. what this cat was asking was totally legit and legal, so i think its time to calm it down just a bit. heh.

Maybe I was a little too harsh, but I just don't want to see anyone else in trouble for messing with a system that isn't all too interesting anyway. I'm a very paranoid person, and I don't trust telecommunincation companies in the least. I'm always phjeering they would tap my phone line just for thinking about what a DATU is; that's how paranoid I am.

/me goes and takes a chill pill and a Xanax...

right and I still don't know what a DATU or a SASS is, but the most they could do is get suspicious and check me out.

OK. DATU and SASS are telco loop testing systems intended to allow craft people (repair and installation folks) to do "end to end" tests by themselves from the field on subscriber pairs that would otherwise require a second person with access to the CO side of the pair. The systems are accessed by dailup (one or two numbers per CO, usually), and have a voice menu and use DTMF for input. The functions include things like shorting a pair or opening a pair for a time, putting trace tones on the pair, checking the pair for activity, listen for audio on the pair (which is scrambled for privacy), and so on. DATU stands for Direct Access Testing Unit, although I've also seen it referred to in telco documents as Dialup Access Testing Unit. SASS is a newer system. Both are/were made by Harris, and can be installed on most modern switches. Both systems are in wide use.

The main reasons telcos get very nervous about unauthorized access to these systems are first, they are a relatively scarce resource -- usually only one or two per CO, and second, they are very useful for illicit wiretapping. The trace tones allow one to easily locate a target pair in a large bundle, and the audio can sometimes be descrambled relatively easily, depending on the version of the system being used. So don't screw with one, should you happen upon the dialup number for one.

wow, I didn't know it was illegal to use these things. All this time I've been playing with my local DATU which happened to be on default. Maybe I better stop. :o

phrack has a really good article on DATUs. i wouldnt do anything besides read it and go,"oh, hmm thats interesting, well now i think ill go eat some cake." because like signull said, they arent that interesting, and it is very possible to get put behind bars for fucking with them.

wow, I didn't know it was illegal to use these things. All this time I've been playing with my local DATU which happened to be on default. Maybe I better stop. :o

WOW .. You would come onto a Forum where we have openly told you that someone went to jail because of this subject and admit you were playing with these Units ... I can say this with certainty, I know this subject very very well, and even I STOPPED EVERYTHING I ever did with this subject ... But if you think I am just another asshole talking shit ... please by all means do what you want ...

Edited by Majest|c

I happen to be on Majestics side. Later

Ok this thread is getting ridiculous. It's sad that nowadays people freak out when the word "DATU" or "SASS" is mentioned. The events that happened after all that DATU scanning that took place may have been pretty harsh (and very undeserving I must add), but you can't let that stop you from having a general conversation about it. You all need to stop living in fear! Obviously we won't condone logging into a DATU/SASS, but you can't lock a thread and freak out if someone mentions it. If you don't want to talk about it then don't post, or just explain why you shouldn't touch one.

You know, the phreaking scene is so dead now after all that shit took place. Nobody conferences anymore. No more calling up the bridge every night and finding all your friends on there. Why? Because everyone's too afraid to do it now. Like shit never happened before on the bridge, and other conferences in history. When people stop becoming active, nothing gets done anymore. What happened to scanning out exchanges and thousand blocks for cool numbers? What happened to finding all those leet confs? What about those old spoofing exploits with different operators and IVRs without using VoIP? Or those fun VXML scripts? All those fun things we used to do and those leet things we used to find. You're going to completely stop because of some legal trouble? You may say to yourself "Oh I better not touch a DATU", but you can still be involved in the scene. Jeez, even Default Radio just came to a hault. We did an episode 40 like 2 years ago even without the main host! And look at the new shit we've found not too long ago! Blue boxing in Wawina Minnesota and Alaska! And other unmentionable things too. All people seem to do now is reminisce about how it used to be. But it doesn't have to be that way. Hell, one of our old bridges is back up and nobody uses it! Pick up your phones and start confing again, and then we may actually be able to call a bridge and hear our familiar friends all the time like it used to be!

</vent>

Here's my view on this whole thread. Somebody comes in here and asks for asomwebody to teach them everything about phreaking. That in itself is a bit of a ridiculous request. Who would go into a mechanics' forum and say "Hey, teach me everything there is to know about cars and fixing them."

Anyways, so thats the first thread you made. The very next thread you made is this one. In this thread you're asking about what are DATU/SASS systems...as well as "what are COCOTs?" You also asked me what are PBXs and what's ESS on AIM. The fact that the first thing you asked after pointing out that you're a total newbie about phreaking was about DATU/SASS systems made people suspicious. You should start googling, man. That would answer a lot of your qestions. Google and wikipedia. I linked you to a copy of the alt.phreaking faq ( http://entropia.de/wiki/Phreaking-FAQ ) and that should help you out for now.

What I'm wondering is why did you choose to ask about DATU/SASS systems first?

Ok this thread is getting ridiculous. It's sad that nowadays people freak out when the word "DATU" or "SASS" is mentioned. The events that happened after all that DATU scanning that took place may have been pretty harsh (and very undeserving I must add), but you can't let that stop you from having a general conversation about it. You all need to stop living in fear! Obviously we won't condone logging into a DATU/SASS, but you can't lock a thread and freak out if someone mentions it. If you don't want to talk about it then don't post, or just explain why you shouldn't touch one.

You know, the phreaking scene is so dead now after all that shit took place. Nobody conferences anymore. No more calling up the bridge every night and finding all your friends on there. Why? Because everyone's too afraid to do it now. Like shit never happened before on the bridge, and other conferences in history. When people stop becoming active, nothing gets done anymore. What happened to scanning out exchanges and thousand blocks for cool numbers? What happened to finding all those leet confs? What about those old spoofing exploits with different operators and IVRs without using VoIP? Or those fun VXML scripts? All those fun things we used to do and those leet things we used to find. You're going to completely stop because of some legal trouble? You may say to yourself "Oh I better not touch a DATU", but you can still be involved in the scene. Jeez, even Default Radio just came to a hault. We did an episode 40 like 2 years ago even without the main host! And look at the new shit we've found not too long ago! Blue boxing in Wawina Minnesota and Alaska! And other unmentionable things too. All people seem to do now is reminisce about how it used to be. But it doesn't have to be that way. Hell, one of our old bridges is back up and nobody uses it! Pick up your phones and start confing again, and then we may actually be able to call a bridge and hear our familiar friends all the time like it used to be!

</vent>

I'm really glad somebody decided to vent about this. I'm not trying to kiss your ass or anything, but I seriously don't think anybody could have put that in a better context. The word 'DATU' seems to almost compare to the word 'nigger' in real life in a sense. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've heard people spit out some pretty racist shit before, and others nearby act as if it doesn't even matter, so long as it doesn't involve black people or the word nigger. Likewise, a good while ago, a close friend of mine happened to have logged into something a bit more significant than a DATU. I won't go into further detail, but after being stupid enough to have done it directly, he was scared shitless about what happened. He told a good few people about what happened, and they acted concerned, but they had nowhere near the amount of a spaz attack as people are having here.

holy shit dude. those are some inspiring words. you're definetly right man.

this is an example of a classic, noob situation. k5, you have to remember google is your friend, before you ask anyone any question you might as well google it first otherwise trust me there will be more situations exactly like this one.