SAHD

Trying to decrypt a code

23 posts in this topic

I really dont know where to post this but i thought i would try here. I am trying to decrypt this code

716EF 67247 68023 41320 11645 66727 65567 30233 531B0 264F6 74023 25332 0277B 16537 74023 08331 02645 61876 72566 53720 23350 264D1 6F472 08332 23128 116A1

The result will be Latitude/Longitude coordinates.

Any ideas?

can you please explain a bit more about the Latitude/Longitude coordinates, it might be easier to crack it if you say whether it is say-for-example: (12,34) or (1234,5678) you get the idea, but if anybody else can do it without that go ahead.

I really dont know where to post this but i thought i would try here. I am trying to decrypt this code
716EF 67247 68023 41320 11645 66727 65567 30233 531B0 264F6 74023 25332 0277B 16537 74023 08331 02645 61876 72566 53720 23350 264D1 6F472 08332 23128 116A1

The result will be Latitude/Longitude coordinates.

Any ideas?

Umm, were gonna need a lot more information than that. Where did you get this number? Was it on a website, if so that same site most likely has a clue or the key to this thing.

can you please explain a bit more about the Latitude/Longitude coordinates, it might be easier to crack it if you say whether it is say-for-example: (12,34) or (1234,5678) you get the idea, but if anybody else can do it without that go ahead.

He is trying to decrypt it himself, so he doesn't know what it is or will look like.

Thanks for the replies.

The coordinates will probably be in this format:

N 41° 35.258 W 081° 26.373

But not necessarily. They can be in different versions as coordinates can be recorded different ways.

This is a puzzle of a game my family plays as a family activity. Here is a link to the puzzle.

I really didn't even know where to begin to decode it. I found a few binary decoding sites but nothing seemed to work. I guess i happened here because the name of the forums includes binary.

Thanks for any help.

I have also been interested in encrypting my own puzzle like the one mentioned but i just dont know enough about it. Thanks!

Now that i look at it, there is a hint.

CQ

WX

W8OXI

It doesn't help me much though. :):blink:

Is it a coincidence that there are 26 codes? conveniently matching the number of letters in the alphabet? ;)

Is it a coincidence that there are 26 codes? conveniently matching the number of letters in the alphabet? ;)

Are you saying the code is the alphabet?

Are you saying the code is the alphabet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_cipher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alphabet_Cipher

Read those.

I assume that StankDawg was talking about this "N 41° 35.258 W 081° 26.373" having 26 characters along with spaces.

But I think that was just an example.

Edited by thej3w

The site uses ROT13 to encrypt words that we don't want to intentionally read (like hints).

The code I'm trying to figure out is mostly numbers which made me think it was some type of binary. The code is mostly numbers and im not sure how that works with an alphabet cipher.

I linked to that because Stank mentioned the 26 letters\alphabet. It also never hurts to read more than what is needed.

How do the hints at the given link work? Is only the decrypted portion the hint, or is the process to decrypt it the hint?

The symbols ranges from 0 to F, which is another hint.

Seems to me you need a good hex editor.Maybe with the ability to switch between different modes.

Plenty out there.

Google away.

Regards,

Scott

The symbols ranges from 0 to F, which is another hint.

Although the letter C is not used.

How do the hints at the given link work? Is only the decrypted portion the hint, or is the process to decrypt it the hint?

The hints that are encrypted are only at the bottom under additional hints. This is for all listings on this site if they have hints. You should be able to decrypt by clicking decrypt. clipboard01de5.jpg

The top part is a puzzle. They can all be different. Some pages do not have a puzzle and just give you the coordinates to the area you are looking for.

He is trying to decrypt it himself, so he doesn't know what it is or will look like.

yer, but he can have at least a little idea, yer all right, that was a stupid post, sorry, only trying to help.

Do you have a key? Or anyhting else to go buy like a set of rules? I am a bit of a crypie, seems to be some form of hexadecimal(? I forget were their letters other than A-F in it?) not binary (although the two can be converted into one another) if you converted it into binary it would be rather long and i really am not sure it would get you anywhere.

At any rate, there really is nothing we can do if you don't get a key, rules, ect from you.

We need more info.

Do you have a key? Or anyhting else to go buy like a set of rules? I am a bit of a crypie, seems to be some form of hexadecimal(? I forget were their letters other than A-F in it?) not binary (although the two can be converted into one another) if you converted it into binary it would be rather long and i really am not sure it would get you anywhere.

At any rate, there really is nothing we can do if you don't get a key, rules, ect from you.

We need more info.

A key? Hmmm. The only thing i have besides the encrypted info is the hint which is:

CQ

WX

W8OXI

The game is geocaching. Here is a FAQ on it. Its an activity to spend more time with my family/kids. Its like an outdoor treasure hunt/scavenger hunt.

I shouldn't have said binary. I don't know anything about this stuff. I have spent time looking at different decryption things on the net, but still- i am lost.

The page could include extra hints but i didn't see any. I checked the source code too. I will keep searching online but i appreciate any help here. Thanks!

first off, no one has yet stated that this

PD
JK
J8BKV

is equal to this

CQ
WX
W8OXI

and that they give you this

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

are you guys serious? :blink:

first off, no one has yet stated that this

PD
JK
J8BKV

is equal to this

CQ
WX
W8OXI

and that they give you this

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

are you guys serious? :blink:

Yeah i did. Post #5.

Dont get the two mixed up. The encryption for the hint is totally different and unrelated to the encryption of the puzzle. The encryption of the hint is a feature the site always has. That part is not a puzzle. Just extra help if you choose to use it. Its encrypted so you dont accidentally read it if you didnt want to.

Again, the ROT13 encryption has nothing to do with the puzzle. They are unrelated.

haha, ok, never mind. I realize that you had posted the one half, but it didn't say on the website that they had nothing to do with each other.

Sorry about that, I thought that was what the hint was...

No problem. I should have been more clear. There are different kinds of geocaches. Here is a traditional which just gives you the exact coordinates and all you have to do is go find it. Notice that it has a hint which is encrypted by the site.

The one i need help with is a puzzle/mystery geocache. You have to complete a puzzle made by the hider to get the coordinates of the actual location. It is noted by the blue question mark at the top of the page. Some are very easy and others can take forever to figure out. I cant post the web page because it is subscriber only- but this is the only info you get to find the coordinates. Here is a screen shot of one that has not been found yet.

clipboard01uf2.jpg