Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
df99

Blue Boxing, anyone?

57 posts in this topic

In the Blue Box Bill of Materials XLS, http://projectmf.org/downloads/BOM.xls, it looks like the 1K Ohm, 1/6 watt, 5% Carbon Film Resistor model P1.0KEBK-ND is no longer being sold by DigiKey. Now, I've only just started learning about these kinds of things, and I know next to nothing, so I just wanted to check and see if I could use this a substitute, http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...roducts_id=8980

~[bK]~

I don't see why not

Those resistors are fine. Just be sure they are 5% units. The firmware handles a fairly wide range of resistor tolerances for keyboard decoding.

Hey df99,

Thanks for posting your stuff for everyone to play with. Haven't called in yet but plan to.

I'm curious, how extensive are the projectmf patches to asterisk? In poking around the code, it looks like * already has the ability to talk MF.

We're still up 24/7, and have been for several years. Feel free to jump in.

You are correct, there is SF/MF support in the Asterisk and Zaptel code. However, it is only partially working. It also uses "spurt" signalling, where a burst of 2600 is used to indicate any supervision changes, rather than continuous tones. The ProjectMF patches and configuration settings change things to work more like the old R1 signalling system.

The patches were written for Asterisk 1.2, which is quite old now. I have never tried to apply them to a more recent build. The patches and configuration changes are documented on www.projectmf.org. Drop me a line if you have any questions.

will it work if I don't have any asterisk cards?

We're still up 24/7, and have been for several years. Feel free to jump in.

You are correct, there is SF/MF support in the Asterisk and Zaptel code. However, it is only partially working. It also uses "spurt" signalling, where a burst of 2600 is used to indicate any supervision changes, rather than continuous tones. The ProjectMF patches and configuration settings change things to work more like the old R1 signalling system.

The patches were written for Asterisk 1.2, which is quite old now. I have never tried to apply them to a more recent build. The patches and configuration changes are documented on www.projectmf.org. Drop me a line if you have any questions.

To set up your own similar system, you don't need any special Asterisk/Digium card hardware, only two extra Ethernet ports, in addition to the one used for your network connection. I have only a single old PCI slot in my server. I bought a used dual-NIC card and use that for the 2600 trunks.

You need a source of timing for Asterisk, which can be supplied by a Digium card. I just use the "ztdummy" module which provides timing from the server. Works fine for the 2600 T1 trunk timing.

df99

will it work if I don't have any asterisk cards?

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum, so I take the opportunity to say hi to everyone.

This post is great, and thanks a lot for doing this, df99.

This bring me back to 1992 and blueboxing countries that used the old CCITT5. That was when I was living in Europe.

I recovered the tool that I used to use for phreaking, its called "bluebeep", it works very well under DOSBOX, either windows or macosx.

See some screenshots:

a79u.png

oz19.png

rbe9.png

I also noticed that given the frequencies, these are not DTMF as referred in the first post, but CCITT5.

Thanks again!