After comments on the difficulty of seizing a
trunk on my box when coming in on the PSTN, I decided
to investigate further. I found that code that called
the SF detector required 250 ms of continuous SF to
declare an "on-hook". Because of noise, vocoder
issues, etc., this was really hard to achieve over VOIP. I
shortened that time to 75 ms. It works MUCH better
when coming in over the PSTN, even better on CNET or
through a local extension through my ATA.

A nice side effect is the ability to do repeated
seizures of the trunk (with proper kerchunks) while
sitting on the idle trunk.

It is now much more like the old network.

I put up a recording of what ProjectMF sounds like in action.

See the attachment on this post.

df99 Edited by df99

When trying to blue box to an outgoing number, remember: 10 DIGITS ONLY!!!!

That is:

KP + xxx-xxx-xxxx + ST

Do NOT prefix a "1" before the number, or the system will read your number back and give you another try.

df99

If you want to directly interconnect an extension from your Asterisk server (running ProjectMF or not) into my ProjectMF box, you can add an extension using the following as a pattern.

This example will dial my box when dialing 2600 local to your machine:

exten => 2600,1,Dial(IAX2/cnetguest@projectmf.homelinux.com/17622600)

To dial ProjectMf on my box and go directly to ringing and trunk without the long-winded optional explanation:

exten => 2601,1,Dial(IAX2/cnetguest@projectmf.homelinux.com/17622601)

This connects directly into my machine in the same way CNET users come in, but without the ENUM lookup to the CNET DNS server. The address is hard-coded.

This is fucking awesome! God I wish for the old analog systems.

I was actually going to make my own Blue Box shirt. :pirate:

Added Free World Dialup access at: 862548.

Also, some new Evan Doorbell recordings at 116-120 and 122.

df99

Dude, this is so neat. Keep up the good work, man!

I've made a few improvements to the ProjectMF patches. The loud "warbling" noise when dropped to the SF/MF trunk is gone. You may hear a slight buzzing on the line, which is the filtered 2600 from the unsupervised far end trunk.

The wink after applying and removing 2600 to seize the trunk is a bit quieter and more subtle. You can hear the buzzing stop during the wink as 2600 is removed briefly and reapplied. You can re-seize the trunk and get a new wink as often as desired. If no digits are received in 4 seconds, a reorder is briefly returned, but you can reseize after it stops.

I also added a series of old-style intercept rings on most of the internal numbers.

I think the net effect is more realistic.

df99

I added the 1991 interview Emmanuel Goldstein did with Joybubbles in 1991.

Dial 630-485-2995 from the PSTN or 862548 from Free World Dialup or 1-762-2600/2601 from CNET.

KP + 123 + ST Part 1
KP + 124 + ST Part 2

Also on 1-762-0123 and 1-762-0124 on CNET (see www.ckts.info)

I added a comment line for comments on ProjectMF with 2600+KP+161+ST to record and 2600+KP+171+ST to playback. Use 0 to exit and * and # to move backward and forward through the comments at 171.

Also via CNET gateway at 1-762-0161 and 1-762-0171. See www.ckts.info for gateway numbers and directory. Edited by df99

So can you call a normal actual telephone number from this thing? I listened to the mp3 and I was wondering cause he dialed into a voicemail system..

Yes, you can dial a regular US number. The voicemail number was dialed as a test number. Use 2600, then KP + <10 digits> + ST. Do not use a leading "1" in the phone number.

I've made quite a few improvements in the sensitivity of the system recently. A brief, 1 second beep of 2600 should be sufficient to seize the line.

Pictures of my Asterisk and ProjectMF setup....

Notice my newly converted Wyse thin client, now running my exchange full-time. The back panel shot shows the 24 MF/SF "trunks" - a loopback cable plugged into a dual Ethernet card. This is what a call gets looped through when blue boxing a call.

The Smart-1 is used as a simple DP to DTMF converter for the WE 211, my "operator" phone (KP-121-ST). I figured out how to program the Smart-1 to do digit-at-a-time pulse-tone conversion.

Best,

df99 Edited by df99

That... is a way cool setup. xD

Nice pics, man. Keep up the cool Asterisk box!

Added direct Telephreak access with KP + 777 + ST, DISA dialtone at KP + 2602 + ST for DTMF access and stacking experiments, and KP + 199 + ST for a 2600 Hz supervision test. Also documented a few alternate ways to access the system, including the Collector's Net, Free World Dialup, and direct Asterisk connection. See the first post in this thread for an updated listing.

Please do not abuse the Telephreak link.

For stacking, apply and remove 2600 Hz for at least 1 second, wait for the wink, then MF dial KP + 2602 + ST. When you hear the dialtone, dial DTMF 2602, wait for another dialtone and dial 2602, etc. up to 24 loops. On the last dialtone dial a PSTN number (10 digits only). Press a DTMF key on the originating phone to "flash forward". You can hear a click for each link in the stack on the terminating end. Hang up the originating end while listening to the terminating end. Hear a cheep of 2600 for each link in the stack as the call disconnects. Works only from originating end to terminating end.

You can also DTMF dial any of the other codes listed at the DISA dialtone, without the KP and ST, of course.

The 2600 supervision test places 2600 Hz into the SF trunk from the terminating end at busy signal and reorder timings. You can hear the action of the SF notch filter as it creates a beep for each application and removal of 2600. If dialed through a non-SF trunk, you would here a steady 2600 for each flash. The Asterisk DSP notch filter gives a brief 2600 chirp when 2600 is applied or removed. The reverse 2600 will not "blow off" or disconnect the call, as I have the supervision in that direction disabled to "goody" the arrangement (allow multiple call attempts, using 2600 Hz to reset the trunk without having to redial trunk access). The notch filter is still active, though.

df99 Edited by df99

I just added direct SIP access to the system. Just call 17622600@projectmf.homelinux.com from your SIP softphone or SIP hardware phone.

Comments on how this works are welcome. Edited by df99

I just added a three part Haxor interview with Joybubbles (famous and recently deceased phone phreak Joe Engressia). Each part is an hour long! It contains lots of great technical trivia from the old days of phone phreaking. The recordings sound like you're evesdropping on an old hacker conference line, rather than a straight interview.

2600+KP+125+ST
2600+KP+126+ST
2600+KP+127+ST

See the first post in this thread for ProjectMF access details.

Enjoy!

df99 Edited by df99

Added Goog411 access at the old Directory Assistance code 131:

Dial ProjectMF via the instructions in the first post in this thread, then:

2600, then KP+131+ST
or
2600, then KP+xxx131+ST, where xxx is any area code. Edited by df99

I added all 16 "Sounds of Long Distance" recordings by Evan Doorbell from the Phonetrips web site to my ProjectMF server.

They are available via blue box by whistling off the connection and routing to the recordings with KP+NNN+ST, where NNN is 128-130 and 132-144 You can prefix the three digits with any area code and it will route just the same.

See the updated first post in this thread for details.

Very nice job, I assume you are the operator that I talked to? Enjoyed the recordings, I wasn't around for "back in the glory days" but, this is very fun, and I wish I had been. I'll continue playing around with it.. I assume there are easter eggs?

Yes, some Easter Eggs are in there! The easiest to find are the old intercept recordings I have been adding. KP+NPA+ST (NPA=one of the original area codes, with a 0 or 1 for the second digit) will play an authentic intercept from that NPA,if I have added it. KP+NPA+xx+ST will play a specific numerical recording from that NPA, using the original switching center ID. A list of these IDs is on the Phonetrips FTP web site.

Eaxmple:

KP+216+ST will play recording 216-02 recording as a default, as it's the lowest numbered recording I have for the NPA.

KP+21602+ST will play the same recording.

KP+21608+ST willplay another recording from the 216 NPA.

These suffixes can be mapped to specific switches and cities using the guide I mentioned at the Phonetrips web site.

df99

In the Blue Box Bill of Materials XLS, [url="http://projectmf.org/downloads/BOM.xls"]http://projectmf.org/downloads/BOM.xls[/url], it looks like the 1K Ohm, 1/6 watt, 5% Carbon Film Resistor model P1.0KEBK-ND is no longer being sold by DigiKey. Now, I've only just started learning about these kinds of things, and I know next to nothing, so I just wanted to check and see if I could use this a substitute, [url="http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8980"]http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...roducts_id=8980[/url]

~[BK]~