Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
batman24

GCC g++ binaries

6 posts in this topic

hey y'all,

oke am sorry for such a basic question bust where can i download a g++ (or any other c++ compiler) binary. I checked the gnu gcc website and all of the host they have listed for linux binaries didn't work. I also tried installing gcc from my linux disc (ubuntu 7.04) but it doesn't recognize the disc. which is odd cause it recognized it for when i needed it to install samba. I also tried google and live search with little success. thanks in advanced.

You can install g++ from the Ubuntu repositories. Open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential

this will install a few other related tools as well. If you don't want them, just run

sudo apt-get install g++

instead

Edited by snow

You can install g++ from the Ubuntu repositories. Open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential

this will install a few other related tools as well. If you don't want them, just run

sudo apt-get install g++

instead

i did the "sudo apt-get install g++" it required the Ubuntu disk but would not recognize it once in the drive it gave me the "please insert CD labeled ubuntu ...." i tried rebooting and trying it with a mounted .iso still the same thing.

i also did the "sudo apt-get install samba" and it read and recognized the ubuntu 7.04 disk no problem installed quick snap. so am just looking for the binaries now just to avoid the disk all together.

The g++ package is in the repositories. You do not need to get the binary from another resource. If you're having problems with the CD simply remove it as a resource in your sources.list file. Run

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and delete the line referring to the Ubuntu CD (I can't remember off the top of my head what it says, but it should be obvious which one it is)

then run

sudo apt-get update

before installing the packages you want.

Thanks Snow, I just went into the sources.list

"sudo touch /etc/apt/sources.list" & "sudo kate /etc/apt/sources/list"

and changed the the dev cdrom name from "[Kubuntu 7.04 _Feisty_Fawn_(20070419)]" -> "[Kubuntu 7.04 i386]"

# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.04 i386]/ feisty main restricted

deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.04 i386]/ feisty main restricted

thanks again :ninja: