Bino Panda

Ubuntu

21 posts in this topic

in a moth or so i am putting Ubuntu on my laptop. i wanted to know if i should use the last stable release 6 or if i should use the new release 7 i intend to use the computer almost only for the internet and maybe to watch movies on trips i just need it to work and work well.

p.s. i don't want k or x or beryl or edu i just wnat normal Gnome Ubuntu i have 6 on a cd and i sent away for 7

thanks

Edited by Bino Panda

It's not "release 6" or "release 7", the version numbers are named for the year and month they were released. The latest, 7.04, is what you should be using. You don't have a burner? You can't make the CD yourself?

debian-desktop.png

Seriously. I use Ubuntu but you should check out Debian.

Ubuntu works without any problems on my Dell XPS M1210 Core 2 duo laptop, everything is detected and works. One minor thing was the Intel graphics 915, it worked, but I had to install the i915 resolution thing to get the 1280x800 resolution to show up correctly.

I'm trying Debian when I feel like a change again ... Or maybe I'll try the new Fedora

Just fun to try them all.

Anyway ...

Why bother saying "try Debian"? It's the _same_ system without everything that Canonical adds on. Anything you want/want to do on Debian can be done on Ubuntu and vice versa.

I swear...

i do have nero but but i don't have internet on my computer at school and im sure they won't be happy if i download it on a school computer. so the librarian at my school burned me her copy (6.10) but i checked the site and saw the new one so i sent away for it (id download at home but i steal my neighbors internet and mines is 56 k.) i know about most of the distros from my roomate and we agree that standard ubuntu is the right choice but he did say after to try debian and right now he using fedora core 6.

i wanted to know if i should use the last stable release 6 or if i should use the new release 7 i intend to use the computer almost only for the internet and maybe to watch movies on trips i just need it to work and work well.

I don't think there are any good reasons for not using 7.04. Although it's less tested than 6.10 and 6.06 it's not unstable. Actually I find that the Firefox distribution under 7.04 is more stable than any previous release.

It sounds like you've already requested a copy (or more) from Ubuntu's ShipIt site, who post them for free:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Local LUG's (Linux User Group) are another place to get distro's. You'll probably find someone who'll burn you a copy.

Munge.

yup ive got a burned copy of 6.10 and i shippedit for 7.04

Why bother saying "try Debian"? It's the _same_ system without everything that Canonical adds on. Anything you want/want to do on Debian can be done on Ubuntu and vice versa.

I swear...

"try Debian"?...

The suggestion wasnt to say Debian is better than Ubuntu. Yes, developers from both distros switch back and forth because there is lack of personnel. Yes, they have the same package manager. Yes, the hardware recognition is awesome for both... etc, etc, etc. Agreed.

It was suggested because new users get the wrong idea about what Linux actually is, if they use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is awesome, and you can do so much with it. Like you said, vice versa. The difference is you do things for yourserlf in Debian.

Ubuntu is great for power users that really want to get something done. I use it from time to time.

Ubuntu is good for Windows users to switch to Linux. The flaw in using Ubuntu as a new user is: new users are just using a substitute for Windows. Too much is done for the user and this just puts the user back where they started.

So not just for Debian... use any power users distro you want, but Fedora/Slackware/Debian will offer much more to the new user than point and click.

IMO

I said "try" ... But I ment try as in test, just to see what it's like.

I "try" lots of distros just so I get to know some of them a little better. I didn't mean this distro is better then that distro or that I just try it because it might be better. Each distro has got its own plus points aswell as negative points. So I just like to test several different ones, maybe I'll finaly settle on one later, for now, I keep on testing.

I'm liking Debian, and I knew Ubuntu was build on Debian, so I said try Debian, as in, now I'll try the "native" Debian, instead of the ready build from Ubuntu with it's own adjustments.

Anyway, hope this is somewhat clear ;)

in a moth or so i am putting Ubuntu on my laptop. i wanted to know if i should use the last stable release 6 or if i should use the new release 7 i intend to use the computer almost only for the internet and maybe to watch movies on trips i just need it to work and work well.

I find Feisty Fawn (7.04) to be quite a bit more refined than Edgy Eft (6.10). I run a Macbook, and the hardware detection worked so much better... almost everything worked out of the box. I think you'll have better luck that way, especially if your hardware was produced in the last year or two. Not to mention, newer packages. I almost always find a reason to update to the new Ubuntu alpha releases when they come out, but I'm trying to stay strong this time.

I swear...

"try Debian"?...

The suggestion wasnt to say Debian is better than Ubuntu. Yes, developers from both distros switch back and forth because there is lack of personnel. Yes, they have the same package manager. Yes, the hardware recognition is awesome for both... etc, etc, etc. Agreed.

It was suggested because new users get the wrong idea about what Linux actually is, if they use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is awesome, and you can do so much with it. Like you said, vice versa. The difference is you do things for yourserlf in Debian.

Ubuntu is great for power users that really want to get something done. I use it from time to time.

Ubuntu is good for Windows users to switch to Linux. The flaw in using Ubuntu as a new user is: new users are just using a substitute for Windows. Too much is done for the user and this just puts the user back where they started.

So not just for Debian... use any power users distro you want, but Fedora/Slackware/Debian will offer much more to the new user than point and click.

IMO

don't worry while i am new to linux my opinions are not to be swayed i have researched many distros and it came down to fedora and ubuntu i chose ubuntu beause my roomate has fedora and he says it has alot of features but but if you arent ready to use the terminal frequntly its not a good choice. also this computer is like i said before mainly for the internet so i don't need customibility i need stabilty hence the topic. i do intend to try other distros when i am more fammilar with linux

Edited by Bino Panda

I prefer the old Ubuntu 6.10.

With Feisty Fawn I have to wait nearly 5 minutes until it recognizes my wlan correctly

(I'm also a bit confused why I now have a wlan-master device ;) ) and the detection of

the correct video driver for my 7950GT doesn't work if I want to enable the special

drivers for graphical effects. But when you manually install the right driver this schould work ;)

If my wlan would be detected right I would use 7.04 :D

At the moment I'm searching for the old driver from 6.10 xD

I just put Ubuntu on an old 800 mhz amd duron box... with 256 megs... literally I mean, just an hour ago.. I got it working... the only problem I had was it didn't want to boot from the HD... grub error 18... a quick google and I reinstalled it w/ smaller partitions for the boot and temp, and it's working beautifully... I had XP pro on the box before and it didn't see the upper half of my 360 gig drive, nor the DVD rom drive... Ubuntu saw them right from the start... now I have 137 updates to download... (fun fun) and will begin the hair-pulling learning part.. in about an hour...

So far... I am very impressed with it. Umm it's Ubuntu 6.10 or something like that....

wow... I just turned and looked at my linux box (I like how that sounds) and my first screen saver!! wow... I feel so virgin-geek right now..

just had to rant...

I swear...

"try Debian"?...

IMO

This is very true, but not all users want to learn how the core system works. Some just want it to work without knowing why or how.

oooh oooh i want to know!!!... but, not right now.

Stick with Ubuntu 6.10, if you like the easy codecs 7.04 add's then use automatix if need be, I have no end of problems with 7.04 and 6.10 seems to ALOT stabler, I'm going to wait for 7.04 iso respin in a few months when kernel is patched properly.

arghh mixed messages!!!

also i get a error with my copy of 6.10 that says the gnome settings daemon didn't load properly some things may not work themes effects etc etc. and it says it will try to fix on restart since i'm booting off of a disc there is no restart. and then it works fine i don't see any problems but that doesn't mean there aren't any. shoul this stop after i install?

Edited by Bino Panda

Submit a bug report with the details of your machines hardware, the version of Ubuntu you tried to install and where it is going wrong. It's likely then that the dev's can actually patch your bug and you don't need to hack at it to make it work.

sorry that sounds like overload this is rather common i did a search of the error message "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in." and got some results this looks like a good one http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=454 i found a few solutions so i'll have to try them to see which works.

Edited by Bino Panda