Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhatChout

Weird ticking sound

17 posts in this topic

I get this sound at random time intervals, it's two "clicks" that occur even after the system was reinstalled (Windows XP). I decided to record the sound (it's a little bit louder in reality):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/renrhy

If you cannot hear it, boost your volume.

Does any of you know what it may be?

Not a hardware problem?...I bet it's that if it's nothing to do with the software.

Maybe there's a problem with the grounding or something, or a fluctuating power supply.

Are we talking about a desktop here?

Hmmm...it is quite strange...I know my mom's computer has a funny noise to...more of a buzzing sound though

Is that sound coming from your speakers or from inside your case?

Is that sound coming from your speakers or from inside your case?

or from the audio out jack

My guess is that your sound card is picking up some electromagnetic interference, or that a component in your computer is causing some current fluctuations. I have experienced something similar with an old box where the sound was affected whenever the hard drive was reading or writing.

Do you have a cellphone nearby, or cordless phone? On unshielded speakers, the transmit/receive keep-alives will make random sounds emanate from the speakers themselves. To test, take a cellphone/pager/cordless and dial a number with it nearby the speakers and see if the sounds become worse.

Do you have a cellphone nearby, or cordless phone? On unshielded speakers, the transmit/receive keep-alives will make random sounds emanate from the speakers themselves. To test, take a cellphone/pager/cordless and dial a number with it nearby the speakers and see if the sounds become worse.

The sound is always the same, like that recorded one.

for giggles make sure the polarity of the plug at the wall is correct... it can _sometimes_ cause 'mysterious' ground/interference problems... Also sometimes a refrigerator on the same circuit can cause the a click when the compressor comes on/off.

So.. run ya an extension cord to another room and see if it still 'clicks'.

If you have a microphone hooked up to your system that is just sitting around it can cause weird noises and buzzing to come out of your speakers. I had similar problems with my computer when I would leave a 'low quality' microphone hooked up.

-Light

Terribly sorry for reviving such an old topic, but this is very relevant to my interests.

Did you ever figure the problem out? I have been experiencing 'clicking' sounds (almost like the sound a walkie-talkie makes when you press the 'talk' button), for maybe a year now.

The refrigerator theory is an interesting one, unfortunatly the refrigerator in the house is on another power circuit!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have changed the motherboard recently, as well as remove the old soundcard, and it didn't help out on the sound.

Cheers for any feedback, Stefan.

Edited by Torino!

A few years ago I had an issue on a work computer where I would randomly get a clicking sound . It turned out to be real player, how or why I don't know, I just uninstalled it and moved on with my life. Probably not the same thing that is happening to you, or was happening to watchout, just thought I'd throw it out there.

EDIT: It probably would be useful if I let you know how I determined what it was. I unchecked all startup items from msconfig, and sound went away. So then I turned on the different items In the order I thought they would be most likely to cause a weird problem. The second one I tried was real player. Of course this won't work if it is a hardware issue.

Edited by Lord Wud

Terribly sorry for reviving such an old topic, but this is very relevant to my interests.

Did you ever figure the problem out? I have been experiencing 'clicking' sounds (almost like the sound a walkie-talkie makes when you press the 'talk' button), for maybe a year now.

The refrigerator theory is an interesting one, unfortunatly the refrigerator in the house is on another power circuit!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have changed the motherboard recently, as well as remove the old soundcard, and it didn't help out on the sound.

Cheers for any feedback, Stefan.

I think the sound was caused by one of the hard drives in my computer. Whenever I accessed files on a certain partition on said drives, those sounds would appear (after a while of using, that is). As I stopped using that partition, the sound seems to have disappeared.

We all know that sound is really just a bomb. I advise you send me your box and/or hard drive for a proper disposal. Things like that are dangerous in the wrong hands you know...

so everyone just decided to ignore the fact that i said i had the exact same problem that was caused by the harddrive?

No, I just confirmed that it was most probably the same reason for me.