zpr

Cellphones

8 posts in this topic

I recently heard the firmware of most cellphones is coded in c/c++.

Would there be a way to transfer the firmware from your phone by plugging it in, and decompile somehow, and modify the source to geekerize your phone? =P

thanks,

nick

I have no idea.

My guess would be if it was possible, it would have been done by now.

Perhaps, but you can bet they've got the code locked in tight. Meaning that if you were to change something and replace the code on your phone, the network might see that and perhaps lock down your phone for good. Soooo... something to watch out for. But, that is really interesting if its true.

Even if it were in C or C++ it's still would be compiled code.. To hack it you'd either have to steal/beg a copy of the source or just figure out what chip the phone operates under and use the proper disassembler. And yes... you'd have to figure out the checksum verification.... I'm not so inclined but I had an old nextel i305 that had a bug in it... they sent out software to flash the firmware... (with a free data cable!!) that'd be a start... find the equivalent for your brand of phone and start debugging the code.

This shit is hard to do my freind. To reverse engineer or even test most firmware usualy requires getting some kind of monitor between you and the pysical hardware. By the time your ready to pull it off your ready to write your own.

Most people easily edit parts of their firmware using hex editors, this is an old niche.

I'm a total noob for this but I like to share this.

I came across couple of websites (hackthev3.com) and (planetmotox.net) as i was tryin to unlock my motorola v3. They do provide a nice tools and tutorials. Since they also provide the software, it might be possible to customize your phone (well.... using hexeditor!).

I'm a total noob for this but I like to share this.

I came across couple of websites (hackthev3.com) and (planetmotox.net) as i was tryin to unlock my motorola v3. They do provide a nice tools and tutorials. Since they also provide the software, it might be possible to customize your phone (well.... using hexeditor!).

wow, nice websites, thanx

lol, its a pity i dont have a moterola!!! damm

Edited by Binary-Hex