Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

windows backup problems

5 posts in this topic

has anyone used this and had a good experience? i recently backup data from a vista install and i am trying to get it back on my xp install. i have installed the back up utility and tried to restore my back up. sadly it can't find the backup files on the disks i burnt. the disks are full of zip files and when i try to open them it freezes the process and i have to term it. any help? can i use a different back up/restore utility to get this data back on my computer?

thanks

Use ghost 9+ they save the backups as VMware images so you can load them up and explore them with the ghost explore or just use clonezilla ..

I always use g4u (http://g4u.sourceforge.net) .. makes nice small images if you do some prep work before making the image, saves it via ftp to my local fileserver... Normally can get a ~60gb image down to about 5gb, partition table intact.

Just an alternative. :)

- mikor

has anyone used this and had a good experience? i recently backup data from a vista install and i am trying to get it back on my xp install. i have installed the back up utility and tried to restore my back up. sadly it can't find the backup files on the disks i burnt. the disks are full of zip files and when i try to open them it freezes the process and i have to term it. any help? can i use a different back up/restore utility to get this data back on my computer?

thanks

did you already wipe out your vista install?

yeah i ended up having to install vista again to recover and just burnt the stuff to dvd rather than using the backup disks. next time i will use a third party backup utility instead of windows backup *leason learned*

I use DirSync for regular backups, after hearing about it on BinRev Radio. As mentioned g4u is a good utility for imaging a whole drive. It'll even allow you to save the image over network, which is pretty handy, especially when restoring.