Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I_Eat_Childrenz

Receiving text messages online?

23 posts in this topic

Is there any way to receive text messages online? I got my phone taken away and I can still send messages. I just need a way to receive them. Thanks, B By the way, im US cellular

Why not just call people on your house phone?

And you got your phone 'taken away'? Do you know how childish that sounds?

And do you know how stupid the whole concept of text messaging is?

Why not just call people on your house phone?

Why not call people on your house phone?

-That has nothing to do with the OP's post. Next.

-This is completely irrelevant to the question at hand. Next.

-It's so stupid that hundreds of millions of people do it every day and companies make billions off of it.

" http://www.txt2day.com/

I googled "text message"

The OP needs to receive text messages online, not send them. Big difference.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to flame but, if you aren't going to post something useful please don't post at all.

Whose 'childish' now?

To answer the question: yes

Have your friends text message your e-mail address instead of your phone number.

Respond just like a normal email (you'll notice that the TO: field will usually have a phone number @ their carrier .com)

For example 713828xxxx@vtext.com for Verizon

For most phone plans, this will not charge the send 'data' fees; but standard messaging fees do apply.

Huh? How do you text message an email address?

Some carriers if I remember correctly would let you txt an email address. But then I don't think it was a txt message more like mms? I could be wrong, but I know I used to email myself pictures on my phone. Hell it could of just had an email client, I haven't had that phone in over 2 years so I am a little foggy on the details.

vim msg.txt
echo send `cat msg.txt` to $1 ?
sleep 10

cat msg.txt | mailx $1@cingularme.com
cat msg.txt | mailx $1@vtext.com
cat msg.txt | mailx $1@messaging.sprintpcs.com
cat msg.txt | mailx $1@messaging.nextel.com
rm msg.txt

Edited by operat0r

RECIEVING text messages online.

Not sending them but RECIEVING.

RECIEVING, got that?

RECIEVING text messages.

Huh? How do you text message an email address?

instead of typing a number [713828xxxx] type an email address [mail@whatever.com].

This is not an MMS.

As I said in my original post, most carrier charge this a normal SMS text message.

Try it out for yourself.

Type it where?

When you goto send a text message, you have to type in the phone number to send it to. Instead of a phone number, type in the email address of someone. Thats it. On my phone, you have to change it from number only to number and letters only in order for you to type in an email address. Simple as that.

Ah, with my phone you can't. What's the brand and model of your phone and who's the service provider?

Its a prepaid Oystr from Virgin Mobile. Most phones I know you can. Does your phone have an Options menu when you are typing a text message? Usually you can change what you're using to type to include letters as well as numbers.

On my phone, the # key changes case and also toggles between letters numbers and symbols (Nokia 5300 Xpress).

What phone model do you have?

yea..i got my phone taken away...i got grounded..i am only still a junior in high school. im just looking for a way for my girlfriend to be able to text me back...since i can only text her

If she has an internet enabled cell phone, couldn't she potentially just IM you? Like, maybe find a site that has an AIM client built in where people can login all from a web browser?

yea..i got my phone taken away...i got grounded..i am only still a junior in high school. im just looking for a way for my girlfriend to be able to text me back...since i can only text her

I'll just keep your girlfriend company for the week.

Problem solved.

Most carriers let you send emails with a text message, simply by using an email instead of a phone number in the "to" field. You could then use a service like the one first linked to to respond.

Nextel will let you do the email address instead of a phone number.

Ok here's the deal. If you send a text message online you need to be able to specify your email address for replies. To do this, use a site like http://www.textforfree.org. You can specify your email address with that one. So then when people get your message, they should just be able to reply and the reply will go to that email address, and then you can reply again from your email. This *should* work with most providers, but I've heard of people with Cingular having problems sending repies.

You can use AIM

When you go to send a new instant message, put +1 (if you are in the US) and then their number

example: +15091239876

where +15091239876 is the screen name

it let's you chat back and forth, she can send messages back

You can use AIM

When you go to send a new instant message, put +1 (if you are in the US) and then their number

example: +15091239876

where +15091239876 is the screen name

it let's you chat back and forth, she can send messages back

She can also go to the AIM website and set up her phone to receive IM's to her screen name as text's. It basically works the same way you would just send to her screen name instead of the number. I know this used to not work with US Cellular but I heard they cleared that up a while ago.