twirlz

a fix for laptop speakers

12 posts in this topic

so i installed vista on my laptop and it killed my speakers. anyhow compaq wants me to send it in to them to fix it. im some what apprehensive about sending them a laptop thru the mail. does anyone have an idea how i could get the speakers to work again? when i use headphones to listen to something and i unplug them the speakers work for a second then cut out again.

any ideas would be great!

Thanks

It's not hardware so I don't think I would mail it.

have you tried this?

the compaq tech got me the right driver for the sound card and that is when i found out the speakers weren't working. when she asked me to use external speakers or headsets is when she said its a hardware issue and no longer a hardware issue

bigbrother: yeah that page is under help on the OS and i tried that before hand.

I find it suspicious that it stopped working when you installed Vista. Although the techs troubleshooting is (pardon the pun) sound, it may still be a software/driver problem. I would try one more to see if it is hardware or software. Do you have a Linux Live CD or could you burn one and test the sound under Linux?

If not, is the system under warranty? I would not be concerned about sending the system as long as you have a backup, send it through UPS with insurance.

-un

You say it worked for a second or two after you unplugged your headphones?? I'd check out the jack the headphones plug into... it might be bad.

ive played audio in winamp and wmp as well and both worked in the headsets, but not on the speakers. yes the system is under warrenty and compaq is sending me stuff to have it sent to them and to have it sent back. total turn around time is suppose to be 8-10 days. of course i will be backing everything up before i send it. i will try the linux live cd and see if that works. i even though of rolling back to winxp just to see if the sound works there as well.

thanks

I'd dump Vista, obviously that's the problem.

problem==vista.

i went back to windows xp and my speakers work again. guess i will have to wait until its fixed before i upgrade again

problem==vista.

i went back to windows xp and my speakers work again. guess i will have to wait until its fixed before i upgrade again

That's just plain crazy.

problem==vista.

That's just plain crazy.

That, my friend is M$. I had a gut feeling about this one, I am the computer whisperer/tech support psychic/Nick Burns. I've troubleshot too many weird problems like this in the past.

Just make sure to escalate the issue with Compaq. They should be aware that this is not a hardware issue. Also, what kind of laptop is it? Maybe there are Vista drivers out for it all ready. Even if they are not Compaq released/approved.

-un

problem==vista.

That's just plain crazy.

That, my friend is M$. I had a gut feeling about this one, I am the computer whisperer/tech support psychic/Nick Burns. I've troubleshot too many weird problems like this in the past.

Just make sure to escalate the issue with Compaq. They should be aware that this is not a hardware issue. Also, what kind of laptop is it? Maybe there are Vista drivers out for it all ready. Even if they are not Compaq released/approved.

-un

its a presario v5000. the tech i was chatting with gave me vista drivers for the laptop. maybe im a total noob but when do speakers need drivers? i thought it was just the sound cards.

its a presario v5000. the tech i was chatting with gave me vista drivers for the laptop. maybe im a total noob but when do speakers need drivers? i thought it was just the sound cards.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, the drivers are not for the speakers, the drivers are for the sound card. I still think it is the sound card, maybe incorrect or maybe improperly installed drivers.

EDIT: Found this link from M$ Technets website which descibes your same exact problem towards the bottom of the page. At the very bottom is someones solution. If I read it correctly it says to download a certain XP driver. The thread is 5 months old and I did not read the other 4 pages of responses. Good luck if you decide to go back to Vista.

-un

Edited by unsupported