Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SaayoSan

Uninstall a 2nd XP

7 posts in this topic

I originally have WinXP. I tried to install backtrack in another partition in anticipation that I will have an operating system choice. But It only tries to boot from backtrack so I installed a second XP on the other partition and got my older XP back but now I wanted to remove the second installation. Since it is a second installation it was supposed to be in add/remove but it isnot there. I know I could remove it from the OS choice menu by editing boot.ini (this only hides the os)but I want to remove it all. would there be a way?

Second if I want to install another operating system (*NIX) in another partition how will I get the OS choice menu?

Third Does a second installation slow the PC like if I installed XP and Linux or XP in separate partitions does one influence with the other?

Thank you very much in advance

Yeah, Grub and Lilo are boot-loaders. They'll allow you to choose which OS to boot from.

And as for deleting another Windows OS, simply delete the partition using fdisk or something similar. If you delete the partition, then the OS goes down with it.

And finally, as to each OS affecting the others, technically... no. Since RAM is erased each time the computer is shut-down, theres no way things from another OS would clog the RAM. But obviously, you'd lose more HDD space. I mean, two OSes each with their fair-share of files being created will eat your HDD up fast. Other than that, no. The OSes shouldn't affect each others speed/performance.

Yeah, Grub and Lilo are boot-loaders. They'll allow you to choose which OS to boot from.

And as for deleting another Windows OS, simply delete the partition using fdisk or something similar. If you delete the partition, then the OS goes down with it.

And finally, as to each OS affecting the others, technically... no. Since RAM is erased each time the computer is shut-down, theres no way things from another OS would clog the RAM. But obviously, you'd lose more HDD space. I mean, two OSes each with their fair-share of files being created will eat your HDD up fast. Other than that, no. The OSes shouldn't affect each others speed/performance.

Unless you are using Vista. :P

If you didn't put XP on a separate partition then just go into the C:\{installation directory} and delete that. It asks you where you want to install the XP files and it doesn't place system assemblies in any other location except that directory. You will have to modify boot.ini whether you are deleting a partition or a directory either way because you are doing in manually. Make sure when you install a *nix OS on top of your XP that you are installing GRUB with it. Obviously you are new to dual booting or you would have known this. LILO is ok but can get tricky when configuring if your not 100% sure of what you are doing so stick with GRUB for the time being. Also, install Ubuntu or something similar then just APT-GET all the tools from backtrack that you want. Backtrack is a little behind and their install to HDD function isn't quite up to par so by installing a different distro you aren't limited to what backtrack has to offer and you also get the benefit of using a distro that has a good development record (just my two cents).

Thanks everybody, I now got Lilo and Grub... I guess I'll use Grub. but first I'll remove that extra OS.

If you didn't put XP on a separate partition then just go into the C:\{installation directory} and delete that. It asks you where you want to install the XP files and it doesn't place system assemblies in any other location except that directory. You will have to modify boot.ini whether you are deleting a partition or a directory either way because you are doing in manually. Make sure when you install a *nix OS on top of your XP that you are installing GRUB with it. Obviously you are new to dual booting or you would have known this. LILO is ok but can get tricky when configuring if your not 100% sure of what you are doing so stick with GRUB for the time being. Also, install Ubuntu or something similar then just APT-GET all the tools from backtrack that you want. Backtrack is a little behind and their install to HDD function isn't quite up to par so by installing a different distro you aren't limited to what backtrack has to offer and you also get the benefit of using a distro that has a good development record (just my two cents).

Can anybody tell me how will I get the tools out of backtrack and install it in Ubuntu?

Thanks everybody, I now got Lilo and Grub... I guess I'll use Grub. but first I'll remove that extra OS.

Can anybody tell me how will I get the tools out of backtrack and install it in Ubuntu?

well you're not actually getting the tools OUT OF backtrack, just writing down the tools that you like. Then you APT-GET those applications into your Ubuntu install. Google APT-GET and you will get this manual: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ which explains the tools and how it works. Hope that helps.