Dial Tone

possible wifi fun

6 posts in this topic

Would it be possible to set up an open AP and then monitor the traffic passing over it, like in say, a dorm situation?

Would it be possible to set up an open AP and then monitor the traffic passing over it, like in say, a dorm situation?

Yes. There are two ways to approach it. As a stand alone setup with a router, like a WRT54G Linksys wireless routerand flash it with dd-wrt or openwrt (both Linux variations) which would support wireless applications. Or just get any old wireless router and run Wireshark while connected to it. The trick would be to get people to connect to your AP. Or you can just get Wireshark and connect to another open AP (wait for it... wait for it... as long as you have the owners permission... of course).

-un

Yes it's possible,i've got a hawking usb device i can switch for searching AP's,or even be an AP.

But there are not so much wardrivers over here :wacko:

Yes. There are two ways to approach it. As a stand alone setup with a router, like a WRT54G Linksys wireless routerand flash it with dd-wrt or openwrt (both Linux variations) which would support wireless applications. Or just get any old wireless router and run Wireshark while connected to it. The trick would be to get people to connect to your AP. Or you can just get Wireshark and connect to another open AP (wait for it... wait for it... as long as you have the owners permission... of course).

-un

Wireshark is the way to go. You have to set it up to sniff wireless traffic (that information is available in the docs) and after that you can pick up the traffic just as you would connected to a normal LAN.

Question for you... Would I be able to use this software if I connect to an AP and not sufe? Think of it like man in the middle picking up traffic.

You could also go with a little more flexible solution.

I get my wifi jollys off with a Linksys WPC55AG (ver1.1) PC card and Backtrack 2. This card runs the Atheros chipset. What i like is the driver allows you to timeslice access to the card and connect to multiple access points. But ok now for the fun part you can also create access points and its not to hard to setup in monitor mode with kismet.

My friend bob was able to use this setup in the area of a motel which offered open wifi access. He was able to connect to the open access point, time slice another interface out in access point mode broadcasting the same ssid as the first. He got more then a few hits.

If I were going to setup something more stationary I'de go with the WRT54G. Nice and flexible. But if your really fealing heavy in the pockets some of the high end cisco routers support multiple ssid's assigned to different vlans. I've ponder getting one of these to setup a wifi honeypot in my house. The key here is (if well configured) your end losers could have their own play area without comprising the security of your (hopefully well encrypted) WLAN.