Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity

Configure wifi and ethernet on same computer

3 posts in this topic

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop with Vista Premium pre-loaded on it. It has a built in wireless card which I need to use even when a network cable is plugged in because of port forwarding. The problem is that I only need the wireless card to upload, it's for seeding torrents. How can I configure the computer to use the wireless card only for the torrent client and the cable for everything else? I remember some one mentioning configuring multiple adapters on a single computer for different tasks a while ago but I can't find the post.

Edit: Well It's not the solution I was looking for, and I didn't learn anything, but after searching Google for a while I gave up and just set my firewall to block all connections for the wifi connection except the torrent client forcing everything else to run through the cable connection.

Oh and so far in about two weeks Vista has only crashed 8 times :P ( surprisingly it always crashes whenever I'm not doing anything, not once have I had to reboot in the middle of reading something or another, so that's good I guess )

Edited by Affinity

You have to be able to set up routing on that machine. I have Vista myself but I haven't played with that functionality, my guess is that they left it out and you have to get ultimate for that feature. If you go into the windows components in the software section of the control panel you can look around for the routing functions. I am not sitting at my Vista PC at the moment (in the shitter on my laptop) but when I get out I will take a peek and give you the correct instructions on how to install the feature or at least tell you if it is possible with system functions. If not then you are going to have to get a third party product and I don't really have any suggestions for that. Just google for routing software and it should turn up something on sourceforge. I will get that information to you in a minute.

Just looked at that feature isn't in Vista Premium. You probably have to have Business or Ultimate to do it, if even that. They might have only put routing in Longhorn Server (Windows Server 2008). Sorry pal.