Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arachia

Bandwidth meter for satilite

4 posts in this topic

Okay this is sort of a continuation of another topic, but I think it is something ppl need.

I am trying to find a meter, test, or site That will tell me how much Bandwidth i have left per day particarly for satilite internet.

Here is basically what my problem is only another member here has the same service as me.

We have satellite Internet through HughesNet. There's a 350 MB cap on our line -- at that point it switches from 1 Mbit service to 56k for a 24-hour period. Your problem is probably similar -- it should be stated in the terms of service, about "fair use," as to what your cap is.

So basically I need to know when the internet will change to slow mod or be able to check the usage of the net before I do a download.

I went to do a little 20MB download tonight and got hit by it at 5MBs!

If any one can make any suggestion of how this might be done I would be most grateful.

I use a dockapp under Linux that reports the usage. Of course, this is the usage since the link has been up, so you need to put it down and bring it back up -- cron can be used to do this, at some hour of the day at which you won't be using the computer. I do this at school, since they cap our uploads to 650 MB/day. At home, I have a FreeSCO router set up, which allows me to monitor the network traffic per day through add-on modules. Monitoring through the router also lets me determine everyone's total usage, not just my own. I generally leave a 50 MB surplus if I'm donwloading something big, so that I can browse comfortably without worrying about problems downloading a large image or piece of software.

EDIT: If using Linux, torsmo also will report bandwidth totals.

Edited by systems_glitch

Another nifty linux app is vnstat. It'll report bandwidth for days, months, years, etc

Also, if you have a linux box as a router, you might look into installing something like mrtg. It would do excellent reporting and graphs.