misterE

New Magazine

32 posts in this topic

I'm starting a new hacker/technology magazine. I need content. I'm accepting anything hacker or technology related. I'm keeping everything G rated so keep that in mind. This is in the very first stages, but we've got all the bugs worked out of printing and such. We just need content. Anybody with anything interesting about hacking, phreaking, or anything else technology related please contribute. We currently do not have a website, but we plan to have one well before the first issue is released. You can e-mail me your content or questions to byonichero(at)gmail(dot)com.

I'll edit my censorship report and send it to ya

What's it going to be called?

Yet to decide on a name..kicking around a few though

Edit: Shim is the name of the magazine

Edited by Mr. E

What format will it be in? PDF? TXT? HTML?

It's going to be printed.

Nice idea but really I think it would be more beneficial if you put up this thread and all that after you have a website. The reason I say this is because it would show people you do mean business. All in all best of luck :)

It will be printed. We got our first article in yesterday. The first issue will be out in July.

WOW! How will you sell it? Have you got newstand coverage/bookshop, Like 2600?

You don't need news stand coverage to sell a printed zine. Dig Zine for example is sold directly from their site http://digzine.com/

Oh I know you are dead right but it will increase your market hugely I mean I imagine it would be very difficult to start and make a magazine successfull from scratch without having some method of getting a buzz out. I think if people could get it easily (which of course would be very difficult to engineer) would mean that people would buy a copy or two and then decide to subscribe which is where I think 2600 make most of there money (i could be wrong).

I know I keep referencing to 2600 but it is the closest magazine to your demograph which I am familiar with.

You could also approach smaller independant bookstores that sell comics/zines and see if they will sell them for you. Then in the back page list all of the stores it is available in . Just because you don't have the support of a corporate book store, doesn't mean all is lost .

That is a great idea optyx :) I am sure it will work out was just giving my 2c and now that I think of it if they put the work in it has the potential (assuming the content is good :P )

I'm starting a new hacker/technology magazine. I need content. I'm accepting anything hacker or technology related. I'm keeping everything G rated so keep that in mind. This is in the very first stages, but we've got all the bugs worked out of printing and such. We just need content. Anybody with anything interesting about hacking, phreaking, or anything else technology related please contribute. We currently do not have a website, but we plan to have one well before the first issue is released. You can e-mail me your content or questions to byonichero(at)gmail(dot)com.

Not to be critical here, but it might be a good idea to get some kind of website up , and post updates to let people know your at least halfway serious about this. Understand that after Blacklisted's latest 'Take the money and run' scam, people might be suspicous of sending anything (money,articles) to just anyone.

Whoa! This isn't woodshop class?

to bad nobody could just download it in some form or another wouldve been more convenient and sweet if everybody could read it for free, and since you selling them what would the people who submit their ideas for free get?

optyXslave hope you know that's not the first time Blacklisted did it and it was just the one guy that screwed everyone over not the magazine but the owner of the mag

optyXslave hope you know that's not the first time Blacklisted did it and it was just the one guy that screwed everyone over not the magazine but the owner of the mag

Yes I know. However, even if BL was to resurface under new ownership, I'd probably still be hesitant about subscribing.

Oh I know you are dead right but it will increase your market hugely I mean I imagine it would be very difficult to start and make a magazine successfull from scratch without having some method of getting a buzz out. I think if people could get it easily (which of course would be very difficult to engineer) would mean that people would buy a copy or two and then decide to subscribe which is where I think 2600 make most of there money (i could be wrong).

I know I keep referencing to 2600 but it is the closest magazine to your demograph which I am familiar with.

I think 2600 has said in it's letters section that their subscriber base is dwarfed by the money they make off of magazine stands.

I applaud your work and desire to get a magazine going. I'll see what I can do about getting some kind of article for you if needed.

Remember, the deadline is June 30th.

Edited by Mr. E

Great to see people working on new zines! Best of luck!

Yet to decide on a name..kicking around a few though

Edit: Shim is the name of the magazine

so why is it going to be called shim? is there some reason, like binrev (Binary Revolution)?

good luck though with the magazine though, all the best off luck.