Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
n3xg3n

Xubuntu Install Freezing

13 posts in this topic

I'm installing Xubuntu on to my desktop, and the install isn't going quite as nicely as i remember it being. It is slow as if i were running it on a Pentium II (and this is on a Pentium 4 w/ 512meg ram [might be 256 but pretty sure its 512] ) were talking 30-40 minutes to boot and get through the 7 install steps, then it freezes on 15% installation. I've removed all USB devices (except the USB mouse) and still nothing. I'm redownloading the iso now to try to reburn and see if it works any better, but i was wondering if any of you had ever had this problem.

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 7.04 stable on a Dell Optiplex GX260

are you trying to install using the desktop/live cd, or the alternate install cd? the desktop/live cd requires significantly more ram to run than the alternate install cd. perhaps trying the latter might help?

Did you install any packages for use? Or did you go straight to the install?

Straight Download -> Burn -> Install

Did you d/l and verify the iso with the MD5Checksum.

Most Linux distro d/l also provide a Checksum and most of the burning software will verify if you provide the checksum file.

Just a thought, it could be a hardware driver issue as well, but I would initially make sure the d/l and iso burn are up to snuff.

I'm installing Xubuntu on to my desktop, and the install isn't going quite as nicely as i remember it being. It is slow as if i were running it on a Pentium II (and this is on a Pentium 4 w/ 512meg ram [might be 256 but pretty sure its 512] ) were talking 30-40 minutes to boot and get through the 7 install steps, then it freezes on 15% installation. I've removed all USB devices (except the USB mouse) and still nothing. I'm redownloading the iso now to try to reburn and see if it works any better, but i was wondering if any of you had ever had this problem.

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 7.04 stable on a Dell Optiplex GX260

I have seen that it appears to freeze when downloading the language packs, although I think this is later than you are suggesting. You can skip this stage, one of the buttons says 'skip'....

I had problems with dapper that the ATI drivers would crash during installation, you could try dropping to Vesa if this is the case.

Munge.

don't bother, It must have been a problem with the CD as I got it installed of an older CD.

----

Eeep, another problem =\ I did a system update which downloaded a new kernel and now the system boots but stays at a black screen after the grub screen. I did the escape grub panel and booted the old kernel and it booted and was black but eventually dropped me to the Xfce login... I don't really have the NIX knowhow, but does anyone know what the problem is and what the resolution is... thanks =]

Edited by n3xg3n

is there a disadvantage if you install with no connection the interbutts? i usually do all the upgrades when im done installing.

when all else false just unplug the power and the bios battery and reset, that usally does the trick for me, but congrades on getting it working

someone get rid of this guy, 93dg11, he is doing nothing but spam on all the forums.

don't bother, It must have been a problem with the CD as I got it installed of an older CD.

----

Eeep, another problem =\ I did a system update which downloaded a new kernel and now the system boots but stays at a black screen after the grub screen. I did the escape grub panel and booted the old kernel and it booted and was black but eventually dropped me to the Xfce login... I don't really have the NIX knowhow, but does anyone know what the problem is and what the resolution is... thanks =]

Sounds like a Kernel Panic.

It may be a kernel panic, like Octal said. It could also be a problem with the bootsplash, you know when the OS is booting it has a progress bar.

I set up my own bootsplash in Debian and had this problem. I know this is done automagically in Ubuntu. If it does boot and eventually drop you into a login screen, I am almost 100% sure it is the bootsplash not showing up. This will leave a black screen and now scrolling text, then drops to a Gnome Display Manager/KDM or which ever display manager you have. Without actually seeing it first hand I cant be completely sure.

The best bet is to join the Ubuntu mailing list and ask your question there in the bugs mailing list. It will almost immediately be replied to and more accurately. The only down point to being on any Linux distro bug list is that you will get like 50 emails every 15 minutes, annoying.

Let us know how it goes.