falcis

One last joke

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have finally decided to switch jobs and my final day with my current will be June 1st. I would like to run one final practicle joke on the entire company. This is not intended to be dangerous, destructive or vengeful in any way. We are parting on good terms and I don't want to burn any bridges; just a little good clean fun.

What I would like to do is to have every computer in the building play the Penny Arcade theme song by MC Frontalot. Our company closes at 4pm. The song is 2:03 in length I believe so I want it to play about 2:07 before the buzzers for the close of the work day. The song should only play once and I don't want to worry about doing any damage to any data or system. Again, just a harmless joke on my friends. I have an idea of how this might be done but am just now starting to research it. I was hoping someone here might have a good way to make this work.

Our environment is Windows servers with a login script and active directory. I can place the mp3 anywhere in the network and allow everyone to access it. I need to be able to do this to all of the machines remotely. I am the sys admin and have full network access. My users are all running XP Pro except for one 2000 pro machine. There are also a couple of large cutting machines that use computer controllers but they do not login to the network although they are connected and I do not want them involved. They run older windows OS and only join as members of a workgroup so that the users with mapped drives can transfer files to them.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Falcis

Scheduled one-time task 'start \\server\share\file.mp3' is the simplest method.

I would send the mp3 to the machines you want ahead of time and look for an mp3 player that will doesn't require install, will let you hide the window and will exit after it's done playing or if it fails to play.

I'd just like to say that your idea of "harmless prank" and the company's idea of harmless prank may differ greatly.

I don't know your company's culture, but anything that blares music and disrupts workflow might not be looked upon kindly. Tread with caution.

I'd just like to say that your idea of "harmless prank" and the company's idea of harmless prank may differ greatly.

I don't know your company's culture, but anything that blares music and disrupts workflow might not be looked upon kindly. Tread with caution.

I'm sure he's already thought this over, and it is within the last two minutes of the day. From my experience, not much "workflow" is going on during those last two minutes. And what are they going to do, fire him? It's his last day, they probably won't get mad at him.

This actually sound like something some companies do any way. I know at my grocery store they tend to blare 'working 9-5' at 11:30 several times in a row.

I would like to know how you manage to do it and what program you use for the player, the task setup is the right way to get it ran, but how do you plan to get it to every one?

Couldnt you just change the windows logoff sound to this?

Easier than trying to find an mp3 player, I think.

Just set all machines to logoff at the same time and bingo...

Couldnt you just change the windows logoff sound to this?

Easier than trying to find an mp3 player, I think.

Just set all machines to logoff at the same time and bingo...

Cept that would cause people to lose work if they didn't save before their machines logged off.

If you are the admin, setup or edit the logon script to start a scheduled task at a certain time. Or you could have it run the AT command and do something similar to

at 16:57 /interactive '//server/share/mp3.mp3'

I am not 100% sure if it will run the mp3 at that location, I never tried but you could test it before hand.

Edited by thej3w

I guess you cant do a "shutdown" with a time delay like 5 minutes, like you can on linux then?

So first shutdown -k with a 5 minute warning, then a 2 minute warning etc. Then do the shutdown -t with the one minute warning.

Must be a windows equivalent?!

If you're a unix shop, change the MOTD to something cheeky.

I guess you cant do a "shutdown" with a time delay like 5 minutes, like you can on linux then?

So first shutdown -k with a 5 minute warning, then a 2 minute warning etc. Then do the shutdown -t with the one minute warning.

Must be a windows equivalent?!

C:\>shutdown/?
Usage: shutdown [/i | /l | /s | /r | /a | /p | /h | /e] [/f]
[/m \\computer][/t xxx][/d [p:]xx:yy [/c "comment"]]

No args Display help. This is the same as typing /?
/? Display help. This is the same as not typing any options
/i Display the graphical user interface (GUI).
This must be the first option
/l Log off. This cannot be used with /m or /d option
/s Shutdown the computer
/r Shutdown and restart the computer
/a Abort a system shutdown.
This can only be used during the time-out period
/p Turn off the local computer with no time-out or warning.
This can only be used with /d option
/h Hibernate the local computer.
This can only be used with the /f option
/e Document the reason for an unexpected shutdown of a computer
/m \\computer Specify the target computer
/t xxx Set time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
The valid range is 0-600, with a default of 30
/c "comment" Comment on the reason for the restart or shutdown.
Maximum of 127 characters allowed
/f Force running applications to close without forewarning users
/d [p:]xx:yy Provide the reason for the restart or shutdown
p indicates that the restart or shutdown is planned
xx is the major reason number (positive integer less than 256)
yy is the minor reason number (positive integer less than 65536)

To do the windows equiv it's:

shutdown /t 300 /s /c "computer shutting down, hope you saved your work.."

shutdown /a

This will display a message with 'computer shutting down, hope you saved your work..' and no option to cancel or close the window;

shutdown /a is the only way out of it.

Considering that it's June 2nd, how did it go? ^_^