Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrakeDanceJ

Windows Update

33 posts in this topic

Howdy guys,

Recently all three of the working family computers (all running il-legit copies of XP Pro), decided to randomly freeze during use, stop working, and eventually stop booting. I re-installed windows on all three after some extensive trouble-shooting; the windows auto-update is what appeared to be causing the problem. When disabled it didnt freeze anymore, but when enabled, everything freezes, I hear a noise like the harddrive whirling off, and then the mouse stops moving.

Anyone else have this crazy problem?

There going to break XP, so everyone will have to "upgrade" to Vista.

That's pretty illegal, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Aw, come on - we all know that the updates Microsoft pushes down can (and will) break Windows and/or other software if things are not configured "just so". If you haven't experienced it, then either you're a brand-new Windows user, or you've never used Windows at all.

Case in point: A couple weeks ago I got an urgent call from a local radio station whose music and ad scheduling/automation package is Windows-based - "total outage", they said. Turns out that Windows Update had grabbed a "fix" overnight that somehow conflicted with their configs and had broken every Windoze installation in the place. They were spinning CDs and reading ads live from the copy all morning while I reinstalled Windows on each box. :mumble:

Hence the reason I use Macs, Linux, *BSD, Sun/Solaris... not Windoze.

EDIT: all the copies of Windows involved in the above story were legit. If they hadn't been, the first time Windows Update ran would have been the last. At the very least it would have meant "genuine advantage" nags, and at worst... well, you know.

Edited by nwbell

What happens is when you download any patch you also get WGA, even if you do not want it. There's no reason to update since it'll still get pwned by viruses on a regular basis, so spare yourself many headaches and turn off Windows Updates on any computer you use or support.

just a random thought...if you just go to the update page and customize3 you update and then unclick WGA, that what i did and had no problems. It might be differnent for other people, but thats what i did and it worked fine

i found a program called removeWGA.exe

its available on torrents

apparently i dont have wga on this system, though the original site i found the tool on had been ordered to remove the program by m$

Mine is not legit as well, and as soon as it grabs kb919007 and kb918439 it will disable firewall and DCOM so I can't run anytype of connection. So I disabled the updates. Now It's fine

removeWGA.exe seems a nice idea.

Howdy guys,

Recently all three of the working family computers (all running il-legit copies of XP Pro), decided to randomly freeze during use, stop working, and eventually stop booting. I re-installed windows on all three after some extensive trouble-shooting; the windows auto-update is what appeared to be causing the problem. When disabled it didnt freeze anymore, but when enabled, everything freezes, I hear a noise like the harddrive whirling off, and then the mouse stops moving.

Stop updating.

My friend was running a copy of XP that was technically "illegit" by microsoft's standards (it was his copy, just on more computers than the license permitted - ALL of his own computers btw) so when he went to get the new update windows essentially destroyed itself and he had to reformat.

Fuck microsoft. Seriously.

I've also heard rumors of some sort of new DRM implementation in the next major patch from some people working for a computer firm down here. Not sure if it's real or not but I wouldn't put it passed them. I personally run a legit copy of XP MCE, I have it registered and everything but I only update if some major fix comes out and even then i'm iffy on it. The less microsoft sees of my computer the better. Call home services ftl.

Edited by deadc0de

I have never had any of these problems...my xp is strangely stable.

though it is 'irc.winbeta'

it is a copy it displays an ascii irc.winbeta.org logo, and has teh option to install the different varieties of XP

i learned early on that I must disable messenger.... and from there I disable as many of the services I dont need

i installed a couple of hotfixes when I though I had an infection issue.

and running systeminfo from cmd tells me I have 3 updates installed...which is a little strange since I turned off automatic update... but anyway

http://freepctech.com/pc/xp/xpindex.shtml <--everything you'll ever need to know about winxp and then some

Howdy guys,

the most recent update of windows xp had the sole purpose of eliminating "stolen" copies of windows. i would agree that windows updates will sometimes make programs you have stop working. but in this most recent update it was just looking for illegit windows boxs. though i have no fucking idea why you want would steal windows.

I see it like this....

They produced it (lets call it a turd for lack of a better word)

As the creator of this turd they have the right to copy it and charge people who want the turd whatever the turd buyer is willing to pay.

As time went on people began stealing this revision of turds. So its in there right to seek and destroy the unlawful turd.

Your welcome to look for ways to keep that stolen steamy turd safe but you can't complain that your stolen turd got broken... You didn't pay for it... You are however welcome to buy a copy of the turd, make your own turds, or use someone elses turd if they give you the right.

Long story short windows is shit.. Don't steal turds Microsoft programers get paid so they can keep making turds.

Use linux.... (sorry about this if you like a program enough to use/steal it at least consider throwing the developer a bone how else are their familys going to eat, and make more turds)

I see it like this....

They produced it (lets call it a turd for lack of a better word)

As the creator of this turd they have the right to copy it and charge people who want the turd whatever the turd buyer is willing to pay.

As time went on people began stealing this revision of turds. So its in there right to seek and destroy the unlawful turd.

Your welcome to look for ways to keep that stolen steamy turd safe but you can't complain that your stolen turd got broken... You didn't pay for it... You are however welcome to buy a copy of the turd, make your own turds, or use someone elses turd if they give you the right.

Long story short windows is shit.. Don't steal turds Microsoft programers get paid so they can keep making turds.

Use linux.... (sorry about this if you like a program enough to use/steal it at least consider throwing the developer a bone how else are their familys going to eat, and make more turds)

By getting paid to make turds you mean getting paid to go back into a high-quality photo editor and just make the previous revision prettier?

Also, people steal because capitalist gluttons want 700+ dollars for something you can't even touch that takes a whole month to make. I seriously, seriously doubt microsoft or any other huge conglomerate is put into any peril AT ALL by these "rogue turds".

What happens when the software you paid for gets destroyed because you didn't want say...microshaft spying on your system through updates? What happens when the software that "they worked so hard on" really just destroys all your media dubbed "pirated" on the system. Effectively claiming it as it's own (Vista's DRM dispute).

Then what?

I'm not saying I support piracy. But you make it sound like these companies actually lose rediculous, company crippling amounts of money to piracy.

Edited by deadc0de

DOUBLE POST LOLZ

Edited by deadc0de

I am from Iowa, and just recently microsoft was sued for overcharging everyone here for software and hardware. Well guess what. Microsoft lost, and everyone in iowa gets money back for software they bought. After microsoft lost i wouldnt put anything past them, especially rigging software updates to break a computer. And thats what i think about all of this.

New York won that last year :)

well its good that some people are getting the money they deserve back. And we all wonder why Bill Gates is rich. He preys on innocent people lol.

I guess everyone got so mixed up in the Microsoft rage they missed the point which was to not use shitty products in the first place....

Try the software out a bit and try and (try to) pay for the shit you use all the time... I guess I'm just too used to the superior open source apps at this point to give a damn what Microsoft is doing to its customer base. Piracy is not a rebellion against capitalistic pigs its a deluded way to gain that consumerist satisfaction without actualy having much to offer.

I guess everyone got so mixed up in the Microsoft rage they missed the point which was to not use shitty products in the first place....

Try the software out a bit and try and (try to) pay for the shit you use all the time... I guess I'm just too used to the superior open source apps at this point to give a damn what Microsoft is doing to its customer base. Piracy is not a rebellion against capitalistic pigs its a deluded way to gain that consumerist satisfaction without actualy having much to offer.

There is not a open source app in existence that can YET beat the functionality of photoshop CS2 (or 3 beta), or visual studio. Both of those are top of the line and probably the only software that I could conceivably pay a rediculous amount for.

And luckily for us Visual Studio (Express, at any rate) is legally free!

I also like MS Office better than the open source alternatives, (OpenOffice, Abiword...)

It appears that windows update has been hijacked see the article at

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070...ows-update.html

Now, as to updating windowz, I found this updated program that uses MS own procedures to retreieve updates, sans wga, and then lets you burn to an iso and update from that. This works to update illegit copies as well as update xp to a 'safe to connect to the internet' state. (Also works with server and 2k). I won't work without it.

see http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/89300

'till next time

And luckily for us Visual Studio (Express, at any rate) is legally free!

I also like MS Office better than the open source alternatives, (OpenOffice, Abiword...)

I can't find a distinguishable difference between OpenOffice and MS office, personally. Except for the Microshaft logo that comes with the box.

and running systeminfo from cmd tells me I have 3 updates installed...which is a little strange since I turned off automatic update... but anyway

Same here! Can the updater be disabled through services? I'll play around and see.

EDIT: And you know what grinds my gears? FORCING you to update on a shutdown. Jeez, I've been powering off my laptop by holding the button for 6 months to avoid the 'please wait while your computer installs update...1 of 50' at shutdown :-X

Edited by BrakeDanceJ

the most recent update of windows xp had the sole purpose of eliminating "stolen" copies of windows. i would agree that windows updates will sometimes make programs you have stop working. but in this most recent update it was just looking for illegit windows boxs. though i have no fucking idea why you want would steal windows.

I agree, can you quote your sources? I'm looking for some official documentation to back my theory up.