Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sidepocket

Monday is Wiretap the Internet Day!

20 posts in this topic

May 14th is the official deadline for cable modem companies, DSL providers, broadband over powerline, satellite internet companies and some universities to finish wiring up their networks with FBI-friendly surveillance gear, to comply with the FCC's expanded interpretation of the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act.

Congress passed CALEA in 1994 to help FBI eavesdroppers deal with digital telecom technology. The law required phone companies to make their networks easier to wiretap. The results: on mobile phone networks, where CALEA tech has 100% penetration, it's credited with boosting the number of court-approved wiretaps a carrier can handle simultaneously, and greatly shortening the time it takes to get a wiretap going. Cops can now start listening in less than a day.

Now that speed and efficiency is coming to internet surveillance. While CALEA is all about phones, the Justice Department began lobbying the FCC in 2002 to reinterpret the law as applying to the internet as well. The commission obliged, and last June a divided federal appeals court upheld the expansion 2-1. (The dissenting judge called the FCC's position "gobbledygook." But he was outnumbered.)

So, if you're a broadband provider (separately, some VOIP companies are covered too) … Hurry! The deadline has already passed to file an FCC form 445 (.pdf), certifying that you're on schedule, or explaining why you're not. You can also find the 68-page official industry spec for internet surveillance here. It'll cost you $164.00 to download, but then you'll know exactly what format to use when delivering customer packets to federal or local law enforcement, including "e-mail, instant messaging records, web-browsing information and other information sent or received through a user's broadband connection, including on-line banking activity."

There are also third party brokers who will handle all this for you for a fee.

It's worth noting that the new requirements don't alter the legal standards for law enforcement to win court orders for internet wiretaps. Fans of CALEA expansion argue that it therefore won't increase the number of Americans under surveillance.

That's wrong, of course. Making surveillance easier and faster gives law enforcement agencies of all stripes more reason to eschew old-fashioned police work in favor of spying. The telephone CALEA compliance deadline was in 2002, and since then the amount of court-ordered surveillance has nearly doubled from 2,586 applications granted that year, to 4,015 orders in 2006.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/05/r...der_monday.html

Welcome to 198-er-2007 baby! :pirate:

What's wrong with privacy??......

What can you do to counteract this?

What can you do to counteract this?

Don't use the internet and telephones.

Encrypt everything. And make sure that anything that isn't encrypted is a clever smokescreen that just makes the feds do lots of busy work. :D

Encrypt everything. And make sure that anything that isn't encrypted is a clever smokescreen that just makes the feds do lots of busy work. :D

Anything to make the feds waste their time is a good idea... I propose we make them spend months trying to de-crypt pictures of dog-shit. Imagine the satisfaction on their faces when the computer finally beeps and it's just a pile of crap staring back at them... Juvenile yes, but so is the present president... Frigging Texas Yankees.

Its the court-ordered wiretaps I'm least worried about.

However, I agree with NotTheory and simply think this will encourage encryption to be built into more and more programs.

I do everything over a VPN for both business and personal work (OpenVPN to be precise, it rocks). To anyone watching it looks as if everything is junk going over a single port.

I even SSH over the VPN instead of SSH'ing directly just to be an idiot. I don't care about the overhead. I just want to make sure nobody has a clue what I'm doing. Now I just need a reliable and inexpensive encrypted cellphone (not Cryptophone).

This is a reminder to keep rants and offtopic discussion in the offtopic section, there is no need to derail a thread.

This is pretty disgusting. The FBIs gotten out of hand. We should definitely improve encryption and start implimenting them more and more. Either that, or have half the population move to Canada :D

this is where i start using a cleaver program to encrypt all my files into pr0n pics, so when they look at me all they will think i am is just another college kid looking at pr0n (and strom its not child pr0n so don't even say it) and they will leave me alone.

i got that joy, joy ,joy, oy down in my heart and so forth

replies that, dont make any, sense and have no, proper grammer are fun?

Welcome to the new Orwelian world folks. Courtesy of your New World Order government: Internet and phone taps, complete access to your bank accounts, microphones and webcams in the new monitors able to see or hear you, free speech zones, urban warfare, vaccinations binded with cancer... Just be a good little slave and Big Daddy will take care of you.

Oh and remember, they have been watching us for years... You are only allowed to know now. And hey, when we all get angry enough to REALLY do something. They'll have their grossly expanded police forces give you a whack with a baton, or maybe they'll sound cannon you, tie-wrap you like an animal and send you to detention camps. Anything is possible with the criminals we have in power now.

I liked the idea about encrypting pictures of dog poop and making the feds take hours to decrypt them, hahaha. Nice 1.

birthplace.jpg

Edited by Phish

Good bye FBI-free Internet, it's been fun

i got that joy, joy ,joy, oy down in my

Where? :P

I think it's about time to start writing letters in secret codes!

zebra

E6B4E2 E5E6D6 E2E2D5 A3

Good bye FBI-free Internet, it's been fun

It has... perhaps we shouldmake a new internet?

XD The Feds are pigs, perhaps a we should createa new crypto algo that just replaces everything with "GTFO my life Fedz0rs!"!

At any rate... besides encryption, what CAN we do about it?

At any rate... besides encryption, what CAN we do about it?

Transmit enough gibberish to make mushroom clouds of the ISP's servers. De-crypt gibberish, thou G-dude!