Dial Tone

good linux distro?

10 posts in this topic

Right now I'm looking to get a second box for security and programming related stuff, currently using OSX, but apple has the hardware all locked down - for example, it's impossible to change your airport card's mac address, and passive scanning is not possible on Intel Hardware.

I'm assuming when dell starts shipping ubuntu boxen they'll work with other distros with no hardware conflicts, and plan to pick one up.

You see (and please don't kill me), I don't like Ubuntu. Specifically, it's default set up, where a user can sudo without entering a password, I prefer the traditional approach.

Are there any other distros that have as good a reputation as Ubuntu?

umm sudo asks for a password, but anyways not really well besides fedora but it's all about personal taste

Specifically, it's default set up, where a user can sudo without entering a password, I prefer the traditional approach.

This is fixed by deleting a few characters from the end of a string in the /etc/sudoers file.

Having said that, I don't like ubuntu either.

To answer the question in the topic though, there is not good linux distro. Only a good linux distro for you. Experiment with all of them and see which one you prefer. After testing a few back in the day I went with Slackware. It was great for a while but you will evolve and eventually want more from your OS again. I personally pick and choose based on each scenario. i personally have:

(1) PowerBook - This is my everyday machine.

(2) FreeBSD systems in my house. One is my firewall/gateway. The other is a dev box.

(6) FreeBSD Servers. (Web, DNS, SQL, etc)

(1) Debian machine that I do testing and anything I dont care about on.

and even (1) Windows box for the occasional gaming.

Go out there and have fun with it and pick up the one you feel most comfortable with.

If people want to tell me what distros they use (and what they like about them) that'd really help.

Give Arch a shot (archlinux.org). It takes up a very small amount of space and uses few resources. It's alike a more cuddly version of Slackware.

Mac OS X and FreeBSD. Works much better than Linux. BSDs have a stronger base system and overall just make more sense. I suggest looking into them if you have any significant amount of unix-environment experience. www.freebsd.org has almost all of the information you'll need. NB: if you have a laptop, you should check to see if your hardware is supported. While usually pretty good, the BSDs tend to be a tad bit behind Linux as far as hardware support is concerned.

If people want to tell me what distros they use (and what they like about them) that'd really help.

Right now I use Ubuntu, and I don't like it (my long rant here)

I personally like Slackware, but if you have never used Linux before it might be kind of hard, but we are here to help you; so just ask if you have any questions.

edit:

I forgot: are you using a laptop?

Edited by Octal

I use Zenwalk Linux which is based on Slackware Linux...considered by many to be the most Unix like of all Linux distros...

I like it for its well set up install..(only one app per function)..and that it doesn't hide the hardcore internals from you...

I am also not a big fan of strait Ubuntu, mainly do to my dislike of the Gnome DE...Xubuntu (which uses my favorite GUI, XFCE) I use on my iBook and it runs very well with minimal configuration...

ive tried several linux distros

hal91

knoppix

knoppix-std

dsl

dvl

back|track 2 final

so far i like back|track 2 final the best for what i do

There is no right and wrong. There's only fun and boring.

Edited by emancipated_squirell

I used Slackware exclusively for a while, and liked it pretty well overall. I tried Gentoo, but ended up getting frustrated with it. I'm currently using Debian Etch on my main workstation. It took a little while to adjust, but I think I'll be sticking with it. The online package management makes keeping things up to date much easier than with Slackware -- that being my main/only complaint about Slackware.

I set my mom up with Kubuntu, for simplicity. She already had experience with KDE. It's acceptable. I personally wouldn't use it because it starts off as a pretty insecure system. I figure, if I'm going to be securing a system manually, it better be one I'm setting up completely to my likings (a la Debian netinstall).