Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mizugori

Can a spoofed mac address be traced or 'un spoofed' ?

17 posts in this topic

sorry if this is a dumb question but... well... this IS the newbie center :)

if you spoof your mac address, theoretically could someone know that you are spoofing it, and/or figure out what your 'real' mac address is?

is the mac address hard-coded or programmed into a NIC or wireless card etc ? if so, could you throw the NIC or wireless card out and get a new one periodically?

The mac address that the person would get would be the spoofed one if they scanned you. They could know if you're spoofing it because spoofing may potentially cause some network problems with two same MACs and IPs on one network.

MAC's are burnt into ROM on the NIC.

That didn't answer your overall question but it answered 'is the mac address hard-coded or programmed into a NIC or wireless card etc ?'

As long as you don't spoof your mac to someone else on the network and someone isn't watching you do it or comparing the mac you are sending out with the actual mac of the card it's impossible to tell. If you are that paranoid sure you can get a new nic which will have a new mac, but it's pretty much just a waste of money.

but theoretically, if you were hopping on someone's wifi, how would you know what MAC/s they already had in use? is there a way to check? can you like scan for all MAC addresses connected to a wireless connection?

but theoretically, if you were hopping on someone's wifi, how would you know what MAC/s they already had in use? is there a way to check? can you like scan for all MAC addresses connected to a wireless connection?

Yes, there are lots of tools for this.

Check Cain and nmap out.

You could get all the hosts and their information with these two tools. There are lots of others like ettercap as well.

OMG MAC SPOFFING!

OMG MAC SPOFFING!

WTF? What was the point of that post?

i get frustated at macs problems or when they are better

He's not talking about the mac Operating System, he's talking about the Media Access Control address of the card.

Don't forget to change your host name as well, that is also logged by DHCP servers. I use MadMACs in windows for this.

Don't forget to change your host name as well, that is also logged by DHCP servers. I use MadMACs in windows for this.

*cough* product-whoring * cough*

But seriously, MadMACs is a great program. Virtually zero setup time, so theres another bonus.

How is that product whoring, it's an open source application he wrote and distributes.

But seriously, MadMACs is a great program. Virtually zero setup time, so theres another bonus.

isnt there 0 start up time because a mac tecnically speaking never turns off unless it is unpluged. it just hybrinates right? oh yeah has n e one seen the new mac desktop that is like 1 inch thik. really cool but still not much of my kinda thing

isnt there 0 start up time because a mac tecnically speaking never turns off unless it is unpluged. it just hybrinates right? oh yeah has n e one seen the new mac desktop that is like 1 inch thik. really cool but still not much of my kinda thing

Please not to flame.

We are talking about a MAC address, not the computer, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Please do not post with things off topic.

Guilty, but at least I did not link it. :)

hey, anyways it looks like a good program and i didn't know about it until you guys mentioned it so it helped me :)