Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fluidicslave

so thinking about switching linux distrobutions

13 posts in this topic

well I am running slackware for 2 years and its awsome but I want something thats a bit easeir to get all the hardware working from the initial install I love slackware but I want something that detects all of my hardware from the begining I am only going to run whatever distrobution I switch to on my laptop I would like to keep slackware on my desktop.

any suggestions for a light weight linux distribution that will detect all my laptop hardware ( x41 tablet) hardware would be very helpfull

Debian. Get the latest debian etch installer, it blows.

freebsd and debian would make you feel right at home.

what hardware issues are you having anyway? you might have the same issues with other distros.

I would really like things like acpi and and suspend to work out of the box

Debian. Get the latest debian etch installer, it blows.

I second Debian, ACPI and suspend work out of the box. I had to tweak a couple things, but ibm_acpi works fantastic on the thinkpad.

I know English isn't your primary language Aghaster. That statement, "it blows" in the USA, and the UK as well I assume since my friend Matt says it a lot, means it is awful. It is associated with blow jobs. You basically said: Debian. Get the latest debian etch installer, it sucks cock. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Not laughing _at_ you, but you have to admit, that is hilarious!

Freebsd is nice, It depends allot on what you run as from my own experience different OS' will detect different machines differently......

Nobody here has any love for Fedora. I suggest it, it may not have quite the package selection as debian, but you don't have to deal with debian, and it's much easier to customize to how you want it, rather than how the developer did, than ubuntu.

Edited by livinded

well I am running slackware for 2 years and its awsome but I want something thats a bit easeir to get all the hardware working from the initial install I love slackware but I want something that detects all of my hardware from the begining I am only going to run whatever distrobution I switch to on my laptop I would like to keep slackware on my desktop.

any suggestions for a light weight linux distribution that will detect all my laptop hardware ( x41 tablet) hardware would be very helpfull

Stick w/ slackware. I started w/ slackware, but, eventually, like you, got fed up with some small inconveniences and switched to a new distro for a while. BIG MISTAKE. "Conveniances" of other distro's tend to be large and buggy, and you will find yourself missing the simplicity (and "inconvenience") of slackware.

I'd try Absolute Linux, is based on Slackware, but designed to remedy the problems you describe. http://www.pcbypaul.com/absolute/

:)

Give arch a shot (archlinux.org). It's like Slackware, except with a little more added on. Very lightweight though, the default install is like 500 MB.