sidafalickno

Supercomputer

24 posts in this topic

You know how people are like "LOL hook two computers together and make a supercomputer lol"

Can you really do that.

Like Make a Big computer with 2 mobo's and such?

You know how people are like "LOL hook two computers together and make a supercomputer lol"

Can you really do that.

Kind of. It works better with more computers. Look up cluster computing.

It is mostly usefull for programs that require a lot of calculation like rendering. I don't think HL2 will run any faster by connecting a second computer via ethernet.

Can you really do that.

the whole idea of that is to utilize more than 1 processor core. but thers not that much warz thae suprt that jind of setup.

even with a dual core or a quad-core cpu your only taping 2-3 cells beacause not all appz suport that kind of chip arctietexure.

howerver certain apps will suport it.

Edited by Galvatron

It won't make your box any "snappier" because of the lag.

It is meant for video encoding/number crunching.

In TackDown Kevin Mitnick used all the computer in that school to crackorz t3h virus code.

In TackDown Kevin Mitnick used all the computer in that school to crackorz t3h virus code.

What do you mean by "crackorz t3h virus code"?

yeah if you wanna make your box faster your going to havfta invest in som dcent hard ware ie a mobo with a fast bus

lots of ram and a pci express card(or two) with atleat 512-a gig of ram on each card?

im thinking Qud core box whaen I get my tax refund

yeah if you wanna make your box faster your going to havfta invest in som dcent hard ware ie a mobo with a fast bus

lots of ram and a pci express card(or two) with atleat 512-a gig of ram on each card?

Could you stop raping the English language?

Edited by WhatChout

OpenMOSIX is the s$%t! Definitely the best choice, simply becuase it A.) doesn't require recompilation (of software), and B.) offers pretty decent load balancing. I think it is a kernel module, so you'll have to learn how to do this (i assume you dont seeing as this is the "Nubie HQ"). Might take a little work to get it setup, but its pretty damn good.

Edited by slacker

ClusterKnoppix is not the best solution but it's one of the easiest to just try out.

http://clusterknoppix.sw.be/

If you have a number of computers there’s no reason you can’t put something useful together with some power behind it.

ClusterKnoppix is not the best solution but it's one of the easiest to just try out.

http://clusterknoppix.sw.be/

If you have a number of computers there’s no reason you can’t put something useful together with some power behind it.

Like SETI@Home? =P

Actually, in the movie Trackdown, the person who was supposed to be Kevin Mitnick, made a program in (i think C) and put it on all the computers which gave him remote control, such as a backdoor. That allowed him to control the computers, they were just linked via ethernet on that local intranet.

well.. that movie about Kevin Mitnick is named Takedown :)

about "crackz0ring t3h code", that code was encrypted

OpenMOSIX is the s$%t! Definitely the best choice, simply becuase it A.) doesn't require recompilation (of software), and B.) offers pretty decent load balancing. I think it is a kernel module, so you'll have to learn how to do this (i assume you dont seeing as this is the "Nubie HQ"). Might take a little work to get it setup, but its pretty damn good.

I most definately second that. I use openmosix and its badass. Last time I checked they hadn't released the 2.6 kernel version and from the looks of it, its going to be a long time till they do. Anyway, its rather simeple to get going on 2.4 kernel. I'd suggest reading the how-tos on their website.

From that site on Wulfs:

"Very little commercial software has yet been written that is designed a priori to run in a parallel environment and that which exists is intended for very narrow and specialized applications."

"Very little commercial software has yet been written that is designed a priori to run in a parallel environment and that which exists is intended for very narrow and specialized applications."

Yeah, thats very true. Its probably because everyone and their mom doesn't have a supercomputer or cluster. People (or companies) that have them, have the money to have programs developed, usually inhouse.

With openmosix, there is a great porting/coding guide on their website if you wish to write apps to take advantage natively.

Also if you are into 3D modeling you can make a render farm for complex scenes and animations. Usually whatever modeling package you using will have some support for this type of thing.

Could you stop raping the English language?

not until Jessie Jackson stops using double standrds.

buildin a quad-core box as soon as i get my taxorz refund. NUFF SAID

From what I've read it seems that MOSIX just allows for what they call a highly available cluster, or one where the master will transfer a whole process to a drone if resources are needed, but it cannot spread one process across multiple cpus, as with a high performance, or beowulf, cluster.

I've been looking into this because I'd like to build a cluster that will speed up the process of deciphering an encrypted sam file, which I believe would require spreading one process across multiple cpus, or a beowulf (HPC) cluster. Can anyone who may be more adept at this clarify any of this?

Also, I have no intention of using this thing for evil.

It might be more cost effective if you get into grid computing instead of doing a cluster. Look up Globus and Alchemi. Basically it is a way to make a "super computer" out of a bunch of different computers that aren't in the same location. Think bot network, only legitimate.

Thanks for the suggestion kn1ghtl0rd. It's been interesting reading about grid computing and what it can do. From what I've found out so far it might be cost effective and functionally feasable to rent out some computing power from Sun's network.com or something of the like. I'd be using this to fulfill the grunt work of a web-based password recovery service and network.com offers something like $1/cpu-hour so that just might make sense. I'll be looking into what it would cost to develop the software to run on their servers and tweak the number of processors to be used to find the most efficient solution. Their website explains that if your app uses 1,000 cpus for 1 min. it would be 16.67 cpu-hours, or $17. So that's not bad considering that I probably won't need to use that many processors.

id just hook the cpu's up with a kvm switch and then boot your main computer from linux "knoppix" generally available free

Many years ago I worked for a company developing silicon chips (DSP's) and we used to run regression tests of the chip designs overnight across all the office computers (generally Sun Ultra 1's and 2's, but also some sparc 5's and 10's). We used a system called DQS (distributed queueing system), although I believe they later switched to LSF (Load sharing facility). DQS was free, LSF cost a fortune. We had about 80 nodes and they performed pretty well - although this sort of setup is not suited to

parallelising a non-parallel code base (perfect however, for lots of individual processes).

Condor is quite good for batch processing stuff as well - with the added ability to checkpoint processes.

I spent a bit of time last year playing with openmosix and found it to be okay - but it didn't play well with the boxes I was trying to cluster (3 x 8 processor Sun V40z's).

As all we were trying to do was produce a render farm in the end we split it to 3 separate boxes and I bit the bullet and wrote a render farm manager, it works like a dream and is great for rendering animations.

I'd have a play around with openmosix if I were you, there is a bootable cd that allows you to set up a cluster (called an Instant Cluster) and this works pretty well.