Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badeofblade

2600 tone

18 posts in this topic

Something weird:

I've heard that you can use a Recorder (the musical instrument) to make a 2600 tone... If so, which note? And does anyone know what tones each note on the recorder is? Thanks.

The note that's closest to 2600 Hz is an E at 2637 Hz ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation ). But if I'm interpreting this wikipedia article correctly the highest E you can play on a typical soprano recorder has a frequency of only 1318.5 Hz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorder If I'm wrong it's still one of the two possible E's, so it shouldn't be too hard to find out.

I do belive that the captain crunch whistles that were shipped in the cereal a long time ago emitted a tone at precisely 2600 Hz. This is, according to wikipedia, the same frequency that was used by AT&T long lines to indicate that a trunk line was ready and available to route a new call.

Yeah. If you held your finger over one hole and blew, it produced 2600 Hz. Cover the other and it something else. No one cares about the other hole ;)

keep in mind that it might not be an actual note the recorder was designed to play, but one of the ear-bleeding squeels you can make it produce if you play it incorrectly.

Aight, I'll try it out on a payphone if I get some change I don't mind wasting, see if anything happens... If I get a reaction, I'll post it.

Aight, I'll try it out on a payphone if I get some change I don't mind wasting, see if anything happens... If I get a reaction, I'll post it.

Why would you get a reaction from a payphone?

There is some really, REALLY old shit still connected in a little alcove I found in the city, so I'm thinking I might get SOMETHING if I mess around... But now I can't find it.

There is some really, REALLY old shit still connected in a little alcove I found in the city, so I'm thinking I might get SOMETHING if I mess around... But now I can't find it.

Sniffs ... YepperZ, I know that smell ...

The smell of me being a total noob and trying to dive right into something as usual. But I'm actually not kidding... I just know hardly anything about this shit, and I am a bit slow sometimes, so there.

Are tones recognized by the phones themselves or the networks the phones are on? again, I'm a total noob to this in every way. And by old equipment, I mean bell stuff that looks like it's from the early 90s, and hasn't been replaced by the ones with the little digital scroll thingy yet. Though chances are it functions the same. It weirdly enough seems to be connected, but I haven't tried the phones yet.

(note: you can see empty fortress phone boxes from the 90s everywhere around toronto. they don't remove the boxes, only the phones. This place is somewhere along Eglinton west, off to some sidestreet. But, again, me sense of direction is a bit... challenged, to say the least. These ones look late-eighties/early nineties, and are probably just forgotten and service not maintained. /noobness)

Edited by Blade

ok/

to clear all of this up.

a payphone wouldnt react to a 2600hz tone.

the microphone on the phone is muted.

red boxes are used to generate tones used to signal coins being deposited.

even if a 2600hz tone would affect the phone. the mic is still muted.

it wouldnt work on any phones still in use today.

ok/

to clear all of this up.

rmmm, I am glad you can talk out you can talk out of your ass. It is a skill that alot of people seem to have.

Blade:

I know a few phones ere in detroit that the and sets are not muted. THere are ways to test tHat, and it as beeN talked about enough. I do support you in your ventures wit Payphone Fun, and watever info you do find, let us know, and report the phones to YAPL ...

If you need any kind of Payphone help, or suggestions, I would drop a message to Royal. Infact, why don't we all add in and make a new underground Payphone Type and Uses Guidebook for Future Users .... A Text File Called ... Payphones For Dummies .....

Edited by Majest|c

Ok, I'm confused, was the last post completely sarcastic?

And yes, when it comes to Phreaking, I am a dumbass. <_<

ok/

to clear all of this up.

rmmm, I am glad you can talk out you can talk out of your ass. It is a skill that alot of people seem to have.

Blade:

I know a few phones ere in detroit that the and sets are not muted. THere are ways to test tHat, and it as beeN talked about enough. I do support you in your ventures wit Payphone Fun, and watever info you do find, let us know, and report the phones to YAPL ...

If you need any kind of Payphone help, or suggestions, I would drop a message to Royal. Infact, why don't we all add in and make a new underground Payphone Type and Uses Guidebook for Future Users .... A Text File Called ... Payphones For Dummies .....

uh?

im not sure if what you meant about my post.

i wasnt talking out of my ass.

An overlooked feature of xmms, (linux audio player, similar to old versions of winamp) is that it generates/plays tones.

$ xmms tone://2600

the free audio editing program audacity can generate a 2600 tone too.

im not sure how far up in goes though.

I use the NCH tone generator from NCH, generate your tones as a wav, and save them as a mp3 from Audacity, also I didnt think there was any blue boxable lines Stateside still?

I use the NCH tone generator from NCH, generate your tones as a wav, and save them as a mp3 from Audacity, also I didnt think there was any blue boxable lines Stateside still?

i dont have the LAME encoder so i cant save as mp3. but i can convert the file using itunes.

and no there are no more blue boxable lines.