Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pppphrank

No more area code splits?

6 posts in this topic

I have not heard much about new area code splits recently. Is this because every area code that needed to be split has been split, and now with twice as many numbers will not need split again for a long time? Or maybe because everyone who wants one now has a cell phone and fax so number use is no longer growing so rapidly?

pppphrank

Well there will always be an increase in phone numbers, even with LNP, even not considering people switching due to competition, people are 1. born 2. immigrate to US, or 3. move (besides other things). NANPA is definitely the definitive source for whatever you want to know.

Although yes, I think now that the pager/cell phone "boom" requiring many new numbers has eased a bit there is a less a demand for new numbers than there used to be.

I'm pretty sure that "overlay" is basically a split.

I think that an overlay is when they have two NPAs where there used to be one, allocating new office codes in the new NPA. So I'd say that it's a non-geographic split. When they say it's not an overlay, they're going to split geographically.

They are adding a new area code too Utah sometime soon. Currently they are debating between a true split or the overlay. I personally would prefer the split because a overlay could be confusing. The overlay is supposed to be set up for cells, and possibly business. It would end up causing you to never know if the area code is needed or not. i read some comments on another board that some areas have this overlay system and what a pain it is. What is the opinion here on this? Overlay or Split? Pro's and Con's?

Just check'd the link above and it lists the split coming up here in New Mexico.