Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alphaofuromega

accidentally partitioned hdd

10 posts in this topic

ok I have a zdisk hard drive enclosure with a 200gb Maxtor hard drive. I accidentally partitioned the hard drive on boot of free bsd. So what I would like to do is get my hard drive back to be viewable in windows and get all the hdd space back.

How does one accidentally partition a drive? /me shrugs

Anywho, if you just want to format it so windows can see it, boot into Windows. Right click on My computer, go to Manage, go to Disk Management, and it will show you the disk, you can right click on that to format the drive to Windows readable (NTFS, FAT32, etc)

How does one accidentally partition a drive? /me shrugs

Device name confusion. Partition/slice confusion. Pretty easy when you're new to an OS.

Well, if no data was actually written to the partitions, then it might be possible to get it back. If you just had a single NTFS partition on there, use a partitioning tool to make that partition again. If it starts in the same place and is at least as large as the partition that was there before, your filesystem will probably magically reappear.

If data was written.. you're screwed. Repartition and reformat.

There are ways to recover data- as long as you didn't actually write files to the new partition or overwrite the files (ie. Did a 'quick format' and not an erase). A long while ago I had this same problem, read this:

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?sho...&hl=mkdosfs

and also the linuxquestions link in there. Try the software mentioned and you may just have a chance.

thanks guys sorry for the late reply been busy lately i will try your options that you gave me and report back thanks again.

I would recommend checking out an O'Reilly book. I am a noob myself and don't know any C or C++ but the O'Reilly books have been a HUGE help to me. Also, let me recommend starting with Python. The documentation on their website is great and there is a good free book you can get online called How To Think Like A Computer Scientist. Let me say that I am not knocking on C or C++ at all or saying don't learn them. I don't know either language. Eric raymond recommended Pythin as a good starter language and I'd say that I personally benefitted from it.

I would recommend checking out an O'Reilly book. I am a noob myself and don't know any C or C++ but the O'Reilly books have been a HUGE help to me. Also, let me recommend starting with Python. The documentation on their website is great and there is a good free book you can get online called How To Think Like A Computer Scientist. Let me say that I am not knocking on C or C++ at all or saying don't learn them. I don't know either language. Eric raymond recommended Pythin as a good starter language and I'd say that I personally benefitted from it.

Okay...thats nice to know...?

Okay...thats nice to know...?

Wow, WTF? Wrong thread maybe? Or are you proposing a language for him to write a data recovery program in?

I think he was saying read some books.

He pointed out that he read some for programming and they helped.

I think he was saying read some books.

He pointed out that he read some for programming and they helped.

I think that Octal and I clearly pointed out how unrelated and out of place that post is in this thread. The guy is asking for help recovering data, not for help or suggestions on reading books. Anyways, I don't want to post random stuff like this anymore. Sorry.

Edited by dalejrrocks