neg output

universal HD DVD Key?

14 posts in this topic

Trust me, it's huge. You know digg.com? Its falling to its knees because the admins tried to censor it...

Trust me, it's huge. You know digg.com? Its falling to its knees because the admins tried to censor it...

Yeah, thats a huge sh*tstorm over there. Most of the top 10 stories are all about digg.com and HD-DVD.

well we know that digg will make editors now :) and lock users so they can't post articles

Digg has always had editors and have a bad rep for censoring anything they see fit (mostly stuff about how gay/lame/stupid/etc digg is) however, this isn't new. The key was found back in February and the information has been out there. My company got a DMCA takedown exactly one month ago to the day from the MPAA to take down a certain site that had the key plastered all over it.

Digg, as usual, is late to the game with this "news".

lol, one thing to say "Resistance is futile".

Why even try to censor it? Even if they did manage to clear all blogs and websites from the key (which would require an improbability drive) people are aware of the key, and it can't be magically forgotten.

lol, one thing to say "Resistance is futile".

Why even try to censor it? Even if they did manage to clear all blogs and websites from the key (which would require an improbability drive) people are aware of the key, and it can't be magically forgotten.

I believe that they're actually doing substantial damaged to the concept of DRM.

The AACS is running around doing:

1). Saying 'You can't tell anyone this sequence of 16 bytes!'.

2). Saying 'We're revoking these Pirate keys'.

I have not seen the connection made in the main stream media, but once some clearly states that the AACS can effectively stop your HD-DVD player working on newer HD-DVD titles, who in their right mind is actually going to spend upwards of $600 on a peice of hardware which might suddenly become useless?

If the opponents of DRM really want to make a point they should be focusing on releasing the hardware key from a Sony [or other mainstream hardware player] which will *REALLY* mess with the AACS.

I guess this could either be done with reverse engineering a player, or by brute forcing a particular title. How long would brute force take with a distributed system?

The moment they revoke a hardware player key they will kill the HD-DVD industry....

Munge.

PS. They have already done significant damage to the industry with the 'Down sample on non-HDCP outputs'. The people who spent shitloads on the bleeding edge HDTV are probably not happy....

... Just a thought, but wasn't HD-DVD in a format war with BluRay?

Any chance the keys were intentionally leaked all over the place (given the length of time between the initial hack and the panic) in order to get people riled up and forget about the rival format? O_o?

</conspiracy theory>

-ArchAngel

You can pretty much forget the key now anyway. Any HD-DVD made after april 23rd has new encryption and the key wont work.

now I cant find that link.

Edited by BigBrother

... Just a thought, but wasn't HD-DVD in a format war with BluRay?

Any chance the keys were intentionally leaked all over the place (given the length of time between the initial hack and the panic) in order to get people riled up and forget about the rival format? O_o?

</conspiracy theory>

-ArchAngel

BlueRay and HD DVD both use AACS, so even though this is the HDDVD key it isn't in BlueRay's favor to divulge and exaggerate flaws in the DRM system

Edited by n3xg3n

You can pretty much forget the key now anyway. Any HD-DVD made after april 23rd has new encryption and the key wont work.

now I cant find that link.

So what ? It won't make ANY difference. After the new DVD's are released, a new key will once again spread through the net like wild fire..and this process will continue until the guys at AACS realize that its a loosing battle..you cant can't win. There will be hundreds of thousands of talented people working AROUND THE Clock to break what ever this new 'unbreakable' encryption is.....

They Revoke the key

-> A new key will be leaked

They Revoke the key again

-> A new key will be leaked AGAIN

" " "

" " "

" " "

The problem is that unlike DeCSS which was code that did stuff, this is just a key and very few people have the technical prowess to know how to go from key to UnDRMed HD Video