jonathanelliott

Wiping Out Vista

12 posts in this topic

My friend got a laptop with Microsoft Vista on it and it came with a "Upgrade Your PC". So she up Upgraded her PC that had Microsoft XP Home Edition up to Microsoft Vista. And it wont accept the product key so is there any way I can wipe Vista off a PC through a Command Prompt? I no its highly unlikly to happen but I wanted to map out all the possible. BTW I found a way to get to Mozilla Firefox..

Thanks for any help!

Get an XP disk. Use it to format/install XP. Or you could do the same thing with linux. You can install firefox on vista as well though.

Get an XP disk. Use it to format/install XP. Or you could do the same thing with linux. You can install firefox on vista as well though.

Sound good I'm gonna try that.

But won't that get rid of all the existing data in the PC? Does the friend want that?

But won't that get rid of all the existing data in the PC? Does the friend want that?

Yes, consider that before formatting.. You might want to back up the data. But I don't think that it matters much since Vista won't take the key anyways.. They shouldn't have any too sensitive data.

Backing up your data is probably something you should have done before attempting the vista upgrade. If it can't be booted right now, you're going to need a live CD and a way to back the data up, or you're going to need to take the drive out and put it in another machine to do the backup. But yeah, format and reinstall. Even if you could remove the parts of Vista, who knows what else was done to XP? It's better to start fresh than risk losing more time trying to get a broken OS to work.

gotta love it what company preload OS'san don't give you thdisks for th os an the key.btw is there a vistakey on the undersid of the lap?

OH SNAP!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933170

"This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user. You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.After you upgrade a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer to Windows Vista, you may decide to remove Windows Vista. However, in the Programs and Features item in Control Panel, there is no option to remove Windows Vista. This article describes how to remove Windows Vista by reverting to Windows XP."

This is why I allways put my data on one partition and my OS on another.

...and linux OS on another and it's data on another... and so on...

My friend got a laptop with Microsoft Vista on it and it came with a "Upgrade Your PC". So she up Upgraded her PC that had Microsoft XP Home Edition up to Microsoft Vista. And it wont accept the product key so is there any way I can wipe Vista off a PC through a Command Prompt? I no its highly unlikly to happen but I wanted to map out all the possible. BTW I found a way to get to Mozilla Firefox..

Thanks for any help!

same thing happened to me. I called Microsoft help and they asked for the service tag on the back of my laptop and they just gave me a new product key... oh and i waited on hold for 45 min to get 2 min of help lol!

well, I tried calling up the company, but they said that they couldn't help me since I loaded the upgrade CD that was meant for my pavillion only. [duh]

and yeah, I'm the idiot that loaded Vista onto my PC. I have, however, found a solution to the problem, so it's all good.

big thanks to everyone's help and to Black Code for starting this topic.

[whooot!]

:P

well, I tried calling up the company, but they said that they couldn't help me since I loaded the upgrade CD that was meant for my pavillion only. [duh]

and yeah, I'm the idiot that loaded Vista onto my PC. I have, however, found a solution to the problem, so it's all good.

big thanks to everyone's help and to Black Code for starting this topic.

[whooot!]

:P

as soon as iget the money im buying full versssion of vista and offix2k7. you can"t rely on upgrades

Iwas in the same boat yeares ago i still have my full copy of win2k the disk says NOT FOR OEM OR RETAIL DISTRBUTION. Also i would not that on a news feed i read on Astalavista MS is discontuing xp on 08 im betting the update service as well. No doubt to force more sales.