Arachia

Need help with satilite internet

7 posts in this topic

Okay I a satilite dish for my internet and wireless belkin network to spread it to the computers. I go and try to download a big file that is 400 MB and when i hit 200 MB I get a bandwidth drop. Normal downloading for me is 1-2% of 54 MB network conection. it always happens around the 200 MB mark. If I pause the download and restart it and hour later I get the normal speed for a little while then it drops again. a guy from the company says it is a problem on my end but I get 90 percent of the signal on a clear day and you only need 45%. does anyone know what I can do to fix this.

I have uploaded a pic of my task manger with some illistrations of a slow phase.

P.S. The only lines we have out here are power lines, we don't even have phone lines yet!!!.

trouble_with_satailte.bmp

Satellite ISPs are usually crappy. They are probably throttling you.

Is this Bittorrent?

Satellite ISPs are usually crappy. They are probably throttling you.

Is this Bittorrent?

If you are asking about the pick, no it is just windows taskmanager. If you are asking about my downloader, no I was useing cnet download manager at the time. I couldn't find a torrent of the file I wanted even most of the file I find are raries.

is there any way to keep the download speed up at speed i mean .5 MBps is all I am asking for from it. or is that to much to desire

They're probably doing it to you. One of my relatives had satellite once, and around the 200 mb limit his rate sharply dropped from about 400 kb/s to maybe 7. It was in the rules of the company to do that to him.

did he get his speed back because I waited 10 hrs and it is still a snails pace of no more then 20 kbps

It use to come back after about 9-12 hours, but it has not yet I am going try download on another computer that goes through the satilit link with a different ip address to see if that changes things.

any suggestions will be helpful I am not a true noob just not very aggressivly active.

We have satellite Internet through HughesNet. There's a 350 MB cap on our line -- at that point it switches from 1 Mbit service to 56k for a 24-hour period. Your problem is probably similar -- it should be stated in the terms of service, about "fair use," as to what your cap is.

I wonder if there is a way to check or keep tabs on the amount of download bandwidth that you have. You know like the amount of time you have left on your cell.

any sugestions?