Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I_Eat_Childrenz

Network Utilization

4 posts in this topic

Ok..so i was looking under the task manager today and i went to networking. I looked at my wireless network utilization. It ranges from .33 to 1% of utilization..! shouldnt i be getting like.....a whole hell of a lot better utilization? like...50% or more? would anyone care to explain why i am not getting more utilization? thanks in advance

B.

I've seen this, but I don't know why. The only thing that I can think of without researching is that it bases it on the speed of your card and the rate that you're using the card at the time. For example if your card supports 100 mb/s, it would be kind hard to get 50% network utilization on a regular connection. :D

Unless you are using a 10mbit nic and greater than a 10mbit ISP connection or transferring files on the local network, it really shouldn't be that high.

The percentage is based off your LAN linkspeed : current usage (whatever you are up/downloading) / maximum usage (10mbit/100mbit/1000mbit) x 100.

If you are say MAXING out your connection with a torrent that it will stop at what your isp is able to give you not what your card can handle.

If I am using a gigabit nic on a gigabit plus capable switch, transferring at 800kilobytes/sec down from my ISP, I am still no where near maxing out the gigabit capabilities of my card locally.

Unless you are transferring LARGE files between two computers on the same switch with a large back plane you aren't really going to see your usage get very high.

If you want to see that percent soar, plug a 100mbit nic into a gigabit switch fed into dual oc48 uplink, you will max out your LAN speeds instead of your WAN speeds.

I am have a simular problem, but given I AM on a satitilite connection it might be easier for me to explian.

figure out what type of primary connection you have and what if suppose speed is.

figure out what is the speed of all the connectors from the modem to your computer.

go to cnet or somewhere and do a internet speed test. do a bunch of them.

take an average of them and you get your real time peak speed.

then wait until you internet goes slow and try to get a few speed test done.

adverage them and you get your snails pace.

know take an adverage of those two and divide it by what your taskmanager says you get for link speed.

the percentage you get should match your regular network utilazation

what I would like is a program that regular can give you a one button speed check of your network, the line coming in, and your usage