doomtroll

Base Distros...whos the king?

48 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

actually LFS is used for embedded systems sicne most use another lib instead of glibc

Gentoo, bitches!

However in terms of merit all of those deserve a lot of recognition. I'd think you would need to have your head stuck up the digestive tract till it reaches your esophagus to downplay the importance of any distro on that list. I've used all, more or less, Gentoo's just the one that 'felt' best. Though I'm not running it anywhere right now...

debian based distris...because of the big pool of easy to install and modify software...

i'm actually using ubuntu

Slackware is the best base distro for me because of its ease and simplicity if you know how to do things, the great many software packages you can choose to install allow you to build whatever you want in. Slackware is all about tinkering with the engine, so to speak. It is rock solid stable and simple to configure.

Considering Slackware was one of the first actual "distros," (techincally SLS, IIRC, which it decended from) I'd have to go with it. Not to mention it remains a well put together distro that lacks most of the bloat found in other distros. Even RedHat Linux used to promote itself as being "Slackware-compatible!"

I currently use Debian on my laptop/desktop, but I've been having some trouble with using it as a TFTP/NFS server for PXE booting (things can PXE boot from it fine, just they don't want to pull the files from TFTP/NFS...I think it's something in permissions, but I'm not sure -- I've just been having DHCP send the TFTP/NFS requests to another Linux server in the rack). I like apt package management -- especially for keeping my laptop up to date. They also have quite a few ports to other hardware architectures, which is why I use it on my Cobalt Qube and Sun Netra T1. Debian probably has more spinoff distros, though.

I picked Debian, but not because I run it or ever used to. I used slackware when it first came out, and then sort of veered into bsd (freebsd and netbsd) as a preference for a long time. At some point I wound up running Gentoo for my desktop, and then later a shootoff of Ubuntu and a bit of backtrack when necessary. I also have run tinysofa ;). I guess I picked Debian because if anybody asked me what they should install and they didn't know anything about Linux, in my opinion, a Debian-derived distro would be what I'd recommend to them as a good place to start. Debian in itself is just 'okay' to me.