doomtroll

Base Distros...whos the king?

48 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

I didn't feel confident enough to vote since my knowledge isn't expansive enough. I'll just say that right now I'm using Xubuntu. However, I have found the GUI to be pretty worthless so I am going to switch back to FreeBSD as most of my friends AKA techsupport network use it, and thus can help me with it the most ;)

I didn't feel confident enough to vote since my knowledge isn't expansive enough. I'll just say that right now I'm using Xubuntu. However, I have found the GUI to be pretty worthless so I am going to switch back to FreeBSD as most of my friends AKA techsupport network use it, and thus can help me with it the most ;)

Xubuntu is Debian based as are all the Ubuntu distros

In that logic, KNOPPIX is also Debian based so it shouldn't be on the list since it's a derivative. However, I think what you mean by 'base distros' should be expounded upon.

In that logic, KNOPPIX is also Debian based so it shouldn't be on the list since it's a derivative. However, I think what you mean by 'base distros' should be expounded upon.

KNOPPIX I believe(and I may be wrong) is the 1st of the LIVE CD based distros...hence its inclusion

Voted Debian, but run Xubuntu on my underpowered laptops as I wanted (easy) access to newer applications.

Munge.

This is kind of like asking whether apples are better than pears. It all depends on what you want to use it for and personal taste.

This is kind of like asking whether apples are better than pears. It all depends on what you want to use it for and personal taste.

And personal taste is what this poll is largely based on....chances are if you use a derivative...you use packages compiled for the base distro as well.......and I like to think its comparing apples to the apple tree

So that's what that giant "Debian" button is the GUI is refering to...:D

That being said, I still don't know enough about the differences to pick one.

Just because distros share the same package manager doesn't mean they have anything to do with each other. Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSe should be separate.

Ubuntu's are really seperate from debian to a point, sicne they both need each other now to survive.

Murdoch even mentioned that debian depends on Ubuntu now more then anything

Debian has had the most successful spin offs. While I'm not wild about Debian itself, the fact that more "loved" distros (knoppix, ubuntu, etc) are based off it would lead me say that it is the best of the options given. The others are still around but their influence isn't really as big. Knoppix led the way for live cds, but thats based off of Debian so it goes as a point for Debian heh.

I voted for Debian. :D

Slackware and Debian. I'm too impatient to configure/run Gentoo and LFS (although I have done it in the past).

Voted Debian,i'm using ubuntu,back-track2.

In my early days i've tried suse and red hat.

I voted Debian, but I never used Debian by itself. I use Ubuntu.

I try Suse, and FC5. they look/feel slow and bugging. The others I never try.

Man, I'm an Arch person. It takes a little work to get up and running, but once you do, you really have a sweet machine.

Ubuntu no longer complies with debian standards and (i think) has it's own repo's. It should be considered a base distro. WOOT! 9 VOTES FOR SLACKWARE!

Using Ubuntu now as well.... But until recently I was useing actualy debian on workstations and Gentoo on servers. Its not like apples or pears its like copareing jolly rancher flavors :)

I think what people are really voteing for are package mangers.

apt > %username%

Debian and Slackware are good. Gentoo is too much work. I guess if you want to use it thats cool. but for me...i can achieve it faster and simpler with debian or slackware.

Debian is still lightweight without being overly difficult to install and modify, there for I would go with it. Plus the fact that I have used it for years and at this point I’ve fucked around with it so much I know all the in’s and outs of it. Debian is king hands down, it’s even the pick for lots of embedded systems, which shows how versatile it can be.

Real men compile everything from source. Of course, I don't have a lifetime to spend on getting a LFS system up and running.