Followers 0
slacker

Making a Linux distro

14 posts in this topic

I've been toying with the idea of making a Linux distro and wanted

A. To know what you think is wrong with current distro's,

B. Any suggestions for design or implementation,

C. and the answers to these questions:

• * What package management should I use? Should I make my own?
    * How does one construct SRPM's?
    * Is it possible to implement static linking b/w lib's in RPM?
    * What packages should I have? What window managers should I include?
    * If I base it on a current distro, which one?
    * What architecture should I optimize for? i386, i486 etc..

Thanks in advance :)

It seems like you have very little linux development experience. I'd recommend becoming a fedora contributor and learning to package first if you really are interested in using rpms. It's not all the difficult once you get it down although there are those pain in the ass applications to to package because of how they are made and installed or distributed. But try contributing to already established distros before just starting your own because without experience it's going to be very hard to get it off the ground to any kind of usable and stable state.

Since I worked on Source Mage I can anwser some of those questions

• * What package management should I use? Should I make my own? Up to you really either rpm apt or another one
    * How does one construct SRPM's? SRPM's are made after you make an rpm package.
    * Is it possible to implement static linking b/w lib's in RPM? not sure never worked on rpm distro
    * What packages should I have? What window managers should I include? Up to what you want your distro to be, and who it's targeted to
    * If I base it on a current distro, which one? umm depends what distro do you understand very well.
    * What architecture should I optimize for? i386, i486 etc.. optimizing for i386 i486 is a waste of time go i686 and generic

I think alot of people run into this question when the get into linux. I was going to build my own for a while to but I found its just not worth the time. You can definately learn alot about the boot process, init scripts, package management, etc but in the end, you are suck with having to do all the work all the time. When upgrades to base packages come out, new kernels with features you need appear, expoilts to service you are running are released, you are the one that has to do all the work.

In the end I just want an OS that works and that I can make do anything I want it to. All of the major distributions allow you to install just the base packages and choose whichever package manager you would like. This way you can use the os and let the developer teams worry about the upgrades and issues. If you are really interested in developing think about joining a team.

This is just my opinion. Do as you wish of course. :)

If you're a slacker, then run slack and make your own slackbuilds.

Who knows, maybe you could submit some of yours here

P.S.: Some of those slackbuilds were made by me.

If you're a slacker, then run slack and make your own slackbuilds.

Who knows, maybe you could submit some of yours here

P.S.: Some of those slackbuilds were made by me.

That's what I'm probably gonna do :) , ratpoison will be the default window manager! woot!

EDIT: Actually, i will more likely just compile the slackware pkg's w/ my own script, its a simply enough procedure (especially because i use VERY simple software with few or no dep's).

I think alot of people run into this question when the get into linux.

I have a pretty reasonable amount of experience with Unix.

Edited by slacker

I prefer apt based for ease of network deployment or Gentoo for performance.

I was never a fan of RPM but haven't bothered with RedHat/Fedora since fedora core 3. I started on redhat 6.? and it was good up until I found Debian. Ubuntu style live cd/installers seem more strait forward and can be more useful then other installer methods.

But i would wait until you have a clear idea of what YOU think a distro should offer or what you're distro will bring to the table. If that differs from another distro enough then i would go ahead and work on it. If not your time might more useful on existing projects?

I have a pretty reasonable amount of experience with Unix.

I did not mean to say that you didn't, I was just stating that when people get really into it and start seeing how things work they want to make their own. Either way, best of luck to you.

I can pretty much grab any distro now and figure out how it works in under a minute the hard part in making a distro really is figureing out what packager manager to use.

:lol: your trying to make a linux distro and asking these questions! :lol: :lol:

some imagnation kid :lol: Boy how often have I heard this on the forum and honestly gang how many actually committed to the project or the self appointed task. Dream on kid, let us know when we can actually test the distro or help with development of it. It's just idol talk of your big dreams in hope of fame and fortune but hackers stop dreaming long ago. they have visions and people see the result of there visions. Seriously, why time and space even mentioning something you will fail to commit to.

If your interested, go to www.linuxfromscratch.org/

It's a great guide for making your own distro.

It's not that it's uber hard, it's just very time consuming and annoying.

Have to build countless things from source, and update them, and verify the md5 sums etc.. etc..

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Why don't you just start out with a base distro that you like, and then add on the stuff that you want?

Hey gloomer do you truly believe they will commit to the project or is this thread dead from idol talk.

Regardless if the thread is dead or not, if someone in the future conducts a search, they will find this thread which has helpful info.

Info that if your not serious GTFO.

:P

:lol: your trying to make a linux distro and asking these questions! :lol: :lol:

some imagnation kid :lol: Boy how often have I heard this on the forum and honestly gang how many actually committed to the project or the self appointed task. Dream on kid, let us know when we can actually test the distro or help with development of it. It's just idol talk of your big dreams in hope of fame and fortune but hackers stop dreaming long ago. they have visions and people see the result of there visions. Seriously, why time and space even mentioning something you will fail to commit to.

The questions were for anyone w/ experience doing this sort of thing, i figured I should ask, so I don't repeat their mistakes. Also, just suggestions people might have (not cynical attacks on my commitment). I do plan to follow through, as I'm getting started now (based on slackware). I'll be sure to post when I've got a working version for testing :)