spinsane

New to linux, interested in vhosts and psybnc

10 posts in this topic

A little background. I have some nix experience from shell accounts, so I know syntax and command line stuff decently. I just installed Xubuntu (Minimal) on a p3 533 with 128mb ram.

I'm completely new to owning my own domain name as well.

As a project, I'd like to somehow point one (or possibly more) of my domains to this box and use them as vhosts with the psybnc irc program. I'm so new to this I don't even really know what to search for. I found the following link here, but it wasn't too specific outside of saying I'd need a reverse DNS server.

I know I could just buy a shell and run it with pre-existing vhosts, but what's the fun in that?

Thanks for any leads... as I said, I have no clue as to what to even search for.

Edited by spinsane

you need to get named(bind) setup this will be your dns server and setup the zones among other things that you want. and have your registrar point to your ns(name servers)

For the vhosts to be reflected on IRC, meaning your host is spinsane@home.spinsane.com, you have to get a PTR record for your IP address and unfortunately unless you have an awesome ISP, you won't get one.

For the vhosts to be reflected on IRC, meaning your host is spinsane@home.spinsane.com, you have to get a PTR record for your IP address and unfortunately unless you have an awesome ISP, you won't get one.

Thanks. Thats exactly what my research on IRC was leading me to believe. Which, seems unfortunate. I doubt Brighthouse offers this service. From this point I think I have a couple options.

1) Scrap the whole thing. Use the box as a router. This is what I'm leaning towards anyway, as my router atm is kind of a POS and runs out of Virtual Services as is when I'm trying to forward ports.

Downsides: The box only has two TOTAL bus slots (not sure what type, haven't really looked inside). It does have ethernet built in. I guess I could maybe use some sort of wireless transmitter card as well as a wired NIC for routing. Not sure about any of this yet. :)

2) Get business class. Don't know if this would give me access to my PTR record. I was consider this anyway as the price isn't significantly more then standard cable for the bandwidth upgrade. On the back burner for now.

3) Enigma was telling me he was looking around at "outsourcing" or renting a virtual server or something. Don't know much about this either at the moment.

Moneys kind of tight. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I appreciate the responses.

Since you have limited bus slots, you can actually buy multi-NIC cards that have anywhere from 2 to 6 adapters on them however, they tend to be a bit pricey.

3) Enigma was telling me he was looking around at "outsourcing" or renting a virtual server or something. Don't know much about this either at the moment.

If you want to learn more, listen to the webhosting episode of BRR. If I recall correctly, Stank and Booter discuss the differences between VPSs (Virtual Private Server) and true dedicated servers.

And if they didn't, just ask and we can tell you.

Probably your best option is to get a VPS which doesn't cost much and is good for learning, there are plenty out there with varied prices, linode is pretty cool with their offers and all of them give you PTR.

V.

Thanks guy for the additional advice. I just got back around to checking this out... did a google search on PTR records and my isp, and this is the second match. Heh.

You will not be able to do this on a machine hosted in your home on a residential ISP line. You need a business class connection to the internet. These types of connections are typically only available in data centers or large corporations.

You'll have to get a dedicated server (serverpronto.com) or a virtual private server from any of dozens of providers. Just be sure that they allow you to delegate what your reverse DNS records are. In the data center where my server is hosted (infolink) I just have to submit a ticket and they will change it to whatever I like. This is nice because I don't have to hassle with any of the name servers and such. At my provider, additional IP addresses are 10$ a pop, one time fee.

All that said, its probally not worth it for you to spend 100$ a month or 30$ a month on a dedi or VPS just to do irc bncs. If you want, if you cover the 10$ fee and maybe consider a small "donation" to me you could just use my server. Ill give you a shell and talk to the ISP and get the rdns setup, and you can just point the A records of your domain to my server. Let me know.