PurpleJesus

good 64 bit motherboard

23 posts in this topic

Well... My main box finally has gone screwy and with it being over 6 years old I guess I'm better off building a new system...

I am interested in running a 64 bit linux (mostly cause I was just given a copy 64 bit Ubuntu yesterday) (Yes.. I don't know crap about linux... but gotta learn some how)

So what 64 bit motherboard & chip set combo would be a good one?? also... I want fast ram...

I'm not an over clocker, but it'd be nice to have a motherboard willing to let me learn this art.

I tried to search the forums... but I had two many 3 letter words... 64 bit amd... the search engine don't like me asking those sorts of things....

I'm not a gamer... so I don't need the best video cards... but I will be playing with 3d CAD rendering... I often run 3 to 6 or more apps at the same time alot... & have about 8 or 10 firefox tabs open at once....

I couldn't care less if this is the 'best' system... I just want to get me by for another 5 or so years.... so I'm thinking a rock steady motherboard & chip, and quick ram....

Anybody have good ideas of what works or suggestions of what to keep clear of?

Also... Quiet is good... & this will be a dual boot system (assuming I figure that bit out)

btw... I'm using my backup box... and it ain't where it's fun to use if you catch my drift.... typing bent over sucks...

I just don't want to blow my cash on something that I really don't need.... but the spite in me wants a 64 bit... I don't know why... but the purple in me just has to have that.... damn me.

Why AMD? Go with Intel.

Also how much money are you willing to spend.

Why AMD? Go with Intel.

Why Intel? Go with AMD.

Why AMD? Go with Citrix.

Why dual-boot? Go with Linux+Xen.

Anyways, I don't actually own a computer right now, so I'm out-of-date on the hardware aspects. I'm going to buy a nice laptop in about three to six months, though.

Why AMD? Go with Intel.

I guess I said AMD because that was the first one that came to mind....

about money to spend... I want to put it all together myself so if I can get away with around $600 to $1000 for the total system, case, power supply, serial hard drive, front usb, serial port, fire wire.... etc... Also I'd like an audio card with coax digital out so I can hook it up to my home stereo and get the full 7.1 experience.. I want an obscene amount of fast ram.... and a fast processor... Most things I do tend to be cpu intensive and memory hungry...

the dual boot idea is just so I can do it... Want the practice... Want the experience... Want the knowledge... you know what I mean.. I want the headaches.... (not really... I just haven't pulled my hair out in a long time and am missing that feeling ;) )

I've looked on pricewatch... and most of the reviews I've read seem to be way of date.

let the dogging begin:

You aren't going to get the system you want for $600, maybe if you go to $1500 but it's gonna cast you more than $600 assuming you buy good parts. Also don't bother with 64bit linux, there really isn't a reason to run it on a desktop and it really is a pain to do a lot of things on. Stick with 32bit at least for desktop use.

AMD lowered a lot of the CPU prices to compete with intel. I think that they slashed the prices on the FX and the other dual core series..

Asus makes good motherboards, you might check them out.

For sound I would go with Sound Blaster.

What is the lot of things that are a pain in 64bit Linux. I run 2 AMD64 x2 systems and a Centrino Core2 Duo system with 64bit Gentoo. The only things I run in 32bit is Firefox for Flash and some games.

thanks for the info so far guys... the more I think about this the more I realize my initial investment is the cpu/mother board... and as money permits I just want to plug better and better stuff into it.... just want to start with a strong motor and I'll build up the 'car' from there..... Get the horsepower first then figure out how to plant the tires....

\

/If/ the programs (CAD especially) you'll be using support dual core optimization, definitely make sure you go with a dual core system. It's probably a good idea even if they don't; my only complaint with my current system is processor horsepower for video editing -- Adobe Premiere would be a lot better off on an x2 system than my Athlon64.

As mentioned, Windows/Linux x64 aren't really worth the time at the moment. There's no distinct advantage, really, unless you do insane 64-bit optimized math stuff (maybe CAD program is already optimized like this?). If you do a 64-bit Linux setup, though, I'd recommend doing a 32-bit chroot rather than a 32-bit multilib system along with the 64-bit libraries: I've had trouble with multilib setups (this may be improved; I've since stopped bothering with 64-bit Linux -- I was running Gentoo AMD64 2006.1 though).

I didn't notice much performance change for Windows XP Pro x64. The biggest difference was that the versions of Nero Burning ROM and Alcohol 120% I had no longer worked.

Cool... I'll be looking into that.. Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe & the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 2.8Ghz

appreciate the tips...

Why AMD? Go with Intel.

Personally I would agree with Zal, but you for certain tasks, or specific games, you would want to go with AMD, what are you planing on doing with this machine specifically?

Why AMD? Go with Intel.

Personally I would agree with Zal, but you for certain tasks, or specific games, you would want to go with AMD, what are you planing on doing with this machine specifically?

I don't quite know... the crap I'm getting into right now is micro controller programming (I've got a LOT of reading to do before I can really begin... but I got the damn lights on the dev board blinking however I want them too... now it's on to the ADC, UARTS and all the really fun shit like graphic lcd displays) so a box with front jacks is the real motivation to build a new machine... (reaching behind this pile of shit to plug/unplug cables sucks....)

I really don't need a 64 bit machine... I've resurrected my main box so the urgency isn't here any more (don't even smell the smoke anymore)....

I'm not much into games.. but occasionally I will play some games if they have a surreal feel to them... like that psychopathic American macgee's alice from a few years ago... and that's about how long it's been since I did play a game.. ... Consoles game machines suck for me as I don't have enough fingers to hold the damn controllers and hit all the buttons.... when I do play games... the display has to be vivid... and fast.. I don't like jitter.... I don't even like watching 24 fps movies that have been converted to 30 fps TV... they are just to jumpy... my eyes get distracted.... so smooth video will be a must... if I find a game I want to play (unlikely)

but I see myself coding stupid little programs and I like leaving apps open and jumping between them... plus I've got about 400 CD rip... so I'll be using it as a media player too...

but in truth... I don't need a 64 bit machine... I just feel that I seem to update every ten years or so... so why not go big?

Also I want to get into CAD/CAM... my boss is talking about buying a milling machine... I'm trying to talk him into getting one with CAM capabilities. so I'd like to learn CAD so I can render parts and see what I'm about to waste a block of metal on.... spin them around in VR space... easy shit really... easy if you know it... I don't. Not yet anyways...

I know this is an old post, but well.. I finally built my new box...

It's nothing super fancy but damn... I booted it up with Ubuntu 7.10 live CD and it's running off of the CD faster then my old machine did off of the hard drive... that's crazy.

Here's the specs if anyone cares.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2

HeatSink: Thermaltake Silent 775D CPU Fan ;I liked it cause it looked like a V8 with headers... stupid I know.. but I like V8 motors ;)

Video: GeFORCE 8600 GT ; I'm not a gamer, so I don't need super frame rates

Memory: Corsair TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800 MHz E.P.P.

PowerSupply: Antec 850 Quattro ;figure more is better when it comes to power

HardDrive: WD Cavuar 250 GB SATA-3G HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3 ;someday I'll add more. I want to set up a raid just for the experience.

Case: Antec 900 'gamer case' I got it cause of all the fans... 4 built in with 2 more optional.. I got em... haven't mounted them yet... It's got a hum to it.. but it's bearable.

DVD rom/Burner: my old Sony ... I can't remember the specs.. it's like 52X CD and 18X DVD or something near that..

And why the hell not, a new monitor: Samsung 226BW.

That's enough for tonight..

I first put it in my old case yesterday using the 'supplied' thermal compound with the heat sink.. CPU temp raced up to 60C so I shut it down... that's why I got the new case.. the old one was too cramped. With the larger case and more fans + some Antec Silver paste, the CPU is running around 46C.. is that good, bad or ugly?

I'm happy. The damn thing works. Amazing. btw: This is my first ground up build from total scratch.

Thats a pretty nice computer for "nothing super fancy"!

how much did you end up paying for it if you dont mind saying?

Thats a pretty nice computer for "nothing super fancy"!

how much did you end up paying for it if you dont mind saying?

I paid, after rebates, $750 for the shipping, CPU, HeatSink, Motherboard, 2 gigs of memory, a $40 powersupply I'm not using, Video card and the 250gig SATA drive @ TigerDirect

Today I was at CompUSA and they were having a going out of business sale, everything was 40% off the already marked down prices. There I got the case, two extra fans, monitor, and the 850 watt power supply for $600

so all together, including mistakes, about $1350 or so bucks... Way way way more then I wanted to spend but what did I expect for having a Zero balance on my Credit Card.. Damn it.. Will I ever learn?

Oh man.. this monitor...the flat panel, wide screen... I love this thing already... (had a 19inch CRT) This is so much easier on my eyes..

btw: from the time of my last post to now, minus about 40 minutes or so, I have ubuntu 7.10 installed on the blank 250G SATA with it's 185 updates, required restarts, ripped a Rammstein CD and listened to a few songs. ,... that was the fastest I have ever seen an install go... btw: no glitches so far.. I let it install 'automatic' and all is beautiful.

I will be making it dual boot with windows XP in a couple of days (when I find that damn disk) so I can use my other toys...(Palm TX, GPS, AVR STK500 that type stuff)

Yes. This is way more computer then I need, but what the hell... ;) Not bad for my first build -eh?

Edited by PurpleJesus

Didn't read you last so I google up a page for the Intel C2D Quad 6600, but I see you already made the right choice ;)

It's an awesome CPU that can do pretty much anything at the same at insane speeds.

Didn't read you last so I google up a page for the Intel C2D Quad 6600, but I see you already made the right choice ;)

It's an awesome CPU that can do pretty much anything at the same at insane speeds.

Thanks...

Rather than dual booting with XP, you might want to look into virtualization. With a machine like that, you could run windows in a virtual machine quite easily.

You could take a look at VirtualBox or VMWare. I personally use VirtualBox on my laptop and I love it. Its good for anything but playing windows games, and its 'seamless mode' is simply amazing.

Rather than dual booting with XP, you might want to look into virtualization. With a machine like that, you could run windows in a virtual machine quite easily.

You could take a look at VirtualBox or VMWare. I personally use VirtualBox on my laptop and I love it. Its good for anything but playing windows games, and its 'seamless mode' is simply amazing.

I'll look into that.. Thanks for the heads up.

True, with that kinda box you'll definitely get more out of virtual machines since you can swtch without rebooting.